• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
raptorstrike

Animating many diffrent items along the same path in 2d

This topic is 4611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Couldn't really think of a descriptive title =p Anyway, I'm current making a 2d RPG and was wondering what to do about attacking using diffrent weapons. Every time you attack an animation is played (with the player swinging the weapons, or shooting, whatever) but many diffrent weapons can be swaped in place of the one you already have. Which leads me to my problem, It would be inefficient, to say the least, to make the same repetitive animations with diffrent images of weapons in all 4 directions. So how could I get around making 16+ frames of animation for every single weapon. I have been thinking about just using a specific set of operations (rotations, translations, things of that nature) on the weapon when the player attacks so it LOOKS like animation but i'm not sure if this is the route to go, especially because if the weapon and player got out of sync it would look sloppy. Using OpenGL, C++ thanks [smile] EDIT: o wow, what the odds of me posting such a similar post to the one RIGHT by it. O well i guess ill leave this up unless its gets requested to delete EDIT... again: actually my problem deals more with 2d and not so much with skeletal animation

Advertisement
I'd make it so there is one set of animations for each weapon type, though there is no graphical indication of a weapon. The weapon is instead a 4 frame texture on it's own (up, down, left and right) which is pasted into hardcoded (or if you decide to go with a "2d skeletal point system" like I did once) slots on the screen when the player attacks. This saves you a lot of sprite design time :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!