NVIDIA and GLSL

Started by
11 comments, last by iliak 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi all, I am new to the GPU world. Apologies if my question is trivial :) I have an NVIDIA GE Force 6600 GT graphics card and am trying to run a vertex-fragment shader program based on openGL 2.0 (using GL_ARB_fragment_shader etc.). The program doesnt run inspite of no compilation or linking errors. I believe it doesnt support GLSL. How do I fix this problem ? Thank you, Vidya.
Advertisement
Did you check any error return codes of the OpenGL functions using glGetError?
The card itself is capable of doing GLSL. Otherwise the extension wouldn't be available and you would get at least an access violation for using an invalid function pointer.

Hi,

I have tried running sample GLSL shader codes (from gametutorials.com and www.lighthouse3d.com). On executing the program, I recieve error that the GL_ARB_shader_objects extension is not supported.
Will I have to update my driver to make these extensions work ?

Thanks, Vidya.
Yes. And a happy new year! ;]

Yes, try the latest drivers from NVIDIA. You will find additional information here.

Good luck!
Pat.
Quote:Original post by gulgi
Yes. And a happy new year! ;]

I really had to look at the calendar to verify that it's 2005 still [smile]
What does return thoses commands ?
	glGetString(GL_VENDOR);	glGetString(GL_RENDERER);	glGetString(GL_VERSION);	glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION);	glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS);
- Iliak -
[ ArcEngine: An open source .Net gaming framework ]
[ Dungeon Eye: An open source remake of Eye of the Beholder II ]
These commands return strings (const char pointers actually) that describe properties of the OpenGL implementation (e.g. the driver).

glGetString(GL_VENDOR):
Returns the company responsible for this OpenGL implementation. This name does not change from release to release.

glGetString(GL_RENDERER):
Returns the name of the renderer. This name is typically specific to a particular configuration of a hardware platform. It does not change from release to release.

glGetString(GL_VERSION):
Returns a version or release number.

glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION):
Contains the OpenGL Shading Language version that is supported by the implementation. It is organized as a dot-delimited sequence of multi-digit integers. (e.g. 1.0)

glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS):
Returns a space-separated list of supported extensions to OpenGL. (including ARB, EXT and vendor-specifc).

HTH,
Pat.

[edit]
Used the official description for GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION [smile]
[/edit]
In my case they return the following:

glGetString(GL_VENDOR): Microsoft Corporation,
glGetString(GL_RENDERER): GDI Generic,
glGetString(GL_VERSION): 1.1.0,
glGetString(GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION): NULL,
glGetString(GL_EXTENSIONS): GL_WIN_swap_hint,GL_EXT_bgra,GL_EXT_paletted_texture.

Thanks.
I'm not sure but I would say that it can be translated to "You are not using accelerated OpenGL". Are you sure the NVIDIA drivers have been correctly installed ?
Lead programmer of the (slowly evolving) syBR game engine --- http://sybr.sourceforge.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement