• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
greenwire

VS Performance spikes

This topic is 4613 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've encountered a strange performance issue in my test projects. I get a short lag approximately every second. I've searched the forums and found these two ancient threads which exactly match my problem... here and here While there seems to be a few workarounds, there's no real solution explained. I've found that if I close VisualStudio, and run the .exe of my project the problem disappears (or at least the spike gets so small it stops effecting the app). The spikes while debugging wouldn't matter so much, but im using a timer to regulate my camera movement, and the spikes make the camera leap about while its moveing. The spikes also got much worse once i started using shader effects while rendering. It seems most people don't run into this issue. Is this just visualstudio hogging the cpu on a regular interval or is it a timer error, or a message queue problem??? N

Advertisement
Odd, since the timer (CPU) and shaders (GPU) are two different things entirely running on two different processors. Two suggestions: Reinstall Visual Studio, OR, and this is what I would do, comment off all code in the app starting from ground-zero and start uncommenting more and more until you notice the spikes. It may be your code that's doing it and if so you will be able to section off which parts of the code are making this happen.

Interestingly, I just tried running both the managed and c++ versions of the SDK Basic HLSL sample. The c++ one runs fine, the managed one spikes every second.
:/

Hi Guys

I'm not sure, but couldn't it be the garbage collector that runs in the managed c++ version

Niels

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!