• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Key_46

Problems with Soft-Shadow Map...

This topic is 4706 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, i found a Tutorial here in GameDev.net about soft shadows: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2193.asp, my application is running with no problems BUT... 1.:This example don't have alpha mapped shadows, how to implement it. 2.:My Objects have .TGA textures with Alpha, when rendering the scene, the Shader don't use it, how to solve it. AND 3.:My game Have More than one type of shader, can i render the objects with their own shaders and then render the scene for shadow mapping?

Advertisement
1.:alpha mapped shadows? you mean the shadow casting of alpha mapped object doesn't work properly? yeah that's a problem with shadow mapping. I have found a demo that uses the other color channels of the shadow map for color and alpha but it has some restrictions an doesn't work properly for all colors(i think)

2.: What do you mean? In the usual render pass you take usual texture and multiply it with the shadow value or combine it another way.

3.: You could render your scene as usual to a texture as well as rendering the scene only with shadow mapping to a texture and combining them vie a postprocessing pass(render a quad covering the whole screen with a pixel shader that combines the 2 textures on it)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!