Savegames and My Documents

Started by
114 comments, last by Madster 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by Bezben
I'd prefer a backup/export and import option in games to save everything to one single zip or something for easy backup and save swaping.

hm. i prefer the automatic backup i have at home, wich just backs up those folders needed, and voilà, i'll never have a problem on hd crash, pc crash, what ever crash.

backup is only easy if it's automatic. think of having 10 or more games installed. do you really want to start up each one to just make a backup? starting up a backup app, and click "Backup Now" is much more easy. not?
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Blew
Summing it all up, games should ask where to put the save files. Only that could make everyone happy. :)

Except it wouldn't.

People don't care where the games are going to be saved 99.99999% of the time. The only time they will ever need to know would be when they want to back up the computer, and IMO it makes sense that the files should be in the same location as all other user-centric data, in the users profile folder. That is after all what its there for. Of course, this argument started about where in the profile folder to put it.

Also, throwing up a dialogue asking where you want your game saved takes the user out of the game for that bit longer (never mind the case where they actually start browsing through the file system to use a non-default location), something neither developer nor gamer should want.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Well I really don't care *how* the word processor makes it possible for me to continue from where I last left off, just that it does! I can put pretty much any program ino that sentence and it still makes sense.

Ok, sure if you want to be anal-retentive about it, you can do that. Especially since you didn't even bother commenting on the key-concept in that paragraph.

Wow, I can't say I had anticipated such a heated debate, especially since it seems I'm almost the only one thinking this way, well me and xycos. I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings with my posts, but really, there's no need to get all anal-retentive about this topic. We're still the minority here.

Quote:Original post by KazgorothSo are you therefore arguing that no documents should ever be automatically placed in the My Documents folder by any program?

To answer your question, yes, I think that no program should ever automagically create a file/directory in "My Documents". Please note that automagically here means "without the user explicitly asking for it to be stored there".

Which brings us to my word-processor. At least it allows me to choose *where* I want to store a document, "My Documents" is then only the default.

I agree it would be a little bit better if all games put their savedata in a directory under "My Games" since it wouldn't clutter up the "My Documents"-folder as much.

Quote:Original post by MadsterThen, since its a document, you'll want to be able to open it, right?
so why not, go ahead and register the filetype. Because every one wants each of their games to have its own registered file extension hooked to the game, since that's the usual way we load games, by double-clicking the savegame file, right?

Sure that might be good, but the problem is that many games today seem to favor the "savegame.XXX" naming standard which makes it difficult to distinguish which one I really want.
Quote:Original post by amag
Sure that might be good, but the problem is that many games today seem to favor the "savegame.XXX" naming standard which makes it difficult to distinguish which one I really want.

He was being ironic. :P
- blew
haha yes I was.. sorry :)
I've never met anyone, in person or intronets that likes loading games this way.
While I'd like the savegame names to be more descriptive than save.xxx (sometimes I like to back one up... or trade or whatever) that still works. But registering the extension is just polluting the already cluttered registry. Just imagine 10 different games wrestling for the .sav extension.

Speaking about pollution, this is an interesting thread, and I don't see the need to polute it with pshychology's smelly words.

a My Games folder would alleviate things... but I guess what I really dislike is the whole arrangement of the home folder. Contrary to what some have said here, My Documents is not a ripoff of the Unix home. That's one folder up the hierarchy. And it's totally stuffed with nonsense.

I hope vista cleans this space out, provides a proper "home" folder and keeps program clutter confined to "my apps" or whatever cute name they settle on. Ugh.. why is "favorites" in there? that's data from IE! it should be in "app data/IE"

Anyways. This thread makes a point. No more storing in the game's folder, where you need admin permissions.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne
Quote:Original post by T1Oracle
For the matter of a game saving settings and game saves in the My Document folder, I believe that the game should first ask the user. If the user doesn't want it there, then the user should be able to choose where it should go. Once a location is chosen, the game should make a subdirectory to prevent files from being mixed up. Or, it can pack all of the files into a custom archive format.

If you mean that when the user goes to Save in the game he has the ability to chose a different folder to save to and that the game would remember that folder the next time the user saves, then I agree. If you mean that the game should ask the user where they want the save games to go when the game is installed, then I disagree completely. Most likely the user does not care and the user should not have to know in order to play the game.

If the user doesn't care then that's their fault. But if they want to avoid having to run as an Admin just to play the game, then they should make the descision. A prompt that ask where the user wants to save the game that defaults to the my documents folder is good enough (users who don't care just click next). A brief explanation of the effect of that can be provided as well. The user should not get control of individual saves as that would temp hacks and those don't need any further encouragment. More features and flexibility to the user is not always benificial to your product.
Programming since 1995.
Personally, I prefer all my save games to be held in the application directory. Just makes it easier when I plan on backing up save games, or putting an application on a USB key.

Although it is nice to allow different windows users to have different save games, it's quite a pain to go fishing looking for the corrent saved game.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Vista fixes this with the inclusion of a MyGames folder.
You're taking it back to the "Games will be there because it's where Microsoft wants them"; and yes, if the operating system is giving that, I can see that many developers will probably just use it.
Just leaving the point a little here, because I do that; what do people feel about the way that a save game feature was originally more: "Save the game so you can carry on a later date", and that it now seems to be: "Save the game because there might be a bad guy around the next corner and I can load back there if he kills me"?
i loved the days that one could only save at certain points. that made games much more .. stressing. much more intense.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement