• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help. How am i supposed to make directX SDk work on Visual C++ 6.0 ?

This topic is 4405 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now, I've downloaded the new directx SDK december release. i've installed it and all but then even when i put the ddraw.h file il my VC++ 6.0 include file i can't program anything whith directX. I've also tried with devC++ but it didn't work either. What are the procedures to make it work ? i really need your help. thanx

Advertisement
First of all, the latest DX SDKs do not work with VC 6.0 anymore. VC 6.0 is outdated and the new SDKs only work with VS 2003+. See the forum FAQ for more information on this and for which SDK versions do work for VC 6.0

Second, VC 6.0 contains DirectX 6 and therefore your header and library path settings must be adjusted to put the new SDK version's path above VC's own include paths.

Greetz,

Illco

ok now i've got visual C++ 2005 express edition but i still don't know how to compile my program

LPDIRECTDRAW lpDD;
bool DirectDrawInit(HWND hwnd)
{
HRESULT ddrval;

ddrval = DirectDrawCreate( NULL, &lpDD, NULL );
if( ddrval != DD_OK )
{
return(false);
}

ddrval = lpDD->SetCooperativeLevel( hwnd, DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN );
if( ddrval != DD_OK )
{
lpDD->Release();
return(false);
}

ddrval = lpDD->SetDisplayMode( 640, 480, 8);
if( ddrval != DD_OK )
{
lpDD->Release();
return(false);
}

return(true);
}

You have to be much more specific. What does the compiler say?

Illco

well it compiles it without any problems but i can't execute the program.
my .exe file says ther's a MSV80D.ddl missing.

one more question now that i've got visual C++ express edition

what's the difference between M Visual c++ 6.0 and visual C++ express edition ?
and which one is better ?

from what i know they both compile c++ programs and i'd like to program on them with directX. i wanna make some 2d programming first and in gamedv's tutorials it said i had to use Direct draw but I haven't figured out how to use it properly in my compilers... it says in the tutorial :

" 1. What you need to compile and link
First and foremost, you will want the DirectX SDK. This is currently available only on MSDN level II or above, and with MS Visual C++ 4.1. The SDK provides a descent help file, and excellent example programs.

To compile and link a DirectDraw application, you need the DDRAW.DLL, DDRAW.H, and you need to create an import library from DDRAW.DLL with the IMPLIB.EXE utility. Since DirectX is only a Win32 technology, you will need a compiler capable of generating Win32 apps. Borland C++ 4.52 and Borland C++ 5.0 provide a great platform for DirectX development.

To run DirectX technology, you must have the DirectX drivers installed on your system. Since this is a commonly used gaming technology, you may find that DirectX is already installed on your system. Look in your Windows/System directory to see if you have a copy of DDRAW.DLL already installed on your system. (Remember, this technology will not work on the 3.X versions of Windows NT.)

"
i've got directx sdk
but i don't indurstand this part " you need to create an import library from DDRAW.DLL with the IMPLIB.EXE "

thanx for your help

Quote:
Original post by cader
well it compiles it without any problems but i can't execute the program.
my .exe file says ther's a MSV80D.ddl missing.

I don't know why this is exactly. You probably mean .DLL right? It seems to me you misinstalled some of the required components.

Quote:

what's the difference between M Visual c++ 6.0 and visual C++ express edition ?
and which one is better ?

The 2005 VS Express is a much much more recent version of the compiler. Since VC 6.0 is over seven years old, it is about time to move to a new compiler.

I don't know which tutorial you are following, but it seems to me the tutorial itself is also outdated for a few years. You'd be better of following some different tutorials.

My suggestions:
- Uninstall everything related. This includes DX, MS VS 6.0, MS VS 2005 Express, and so on.
- Read all forum FAQs in the DirectX forum to prepare yourself for a more succesful install.
- Download VS 2005 Express, the December 2005 DX SDK and the Win32 Platform SDK if you want to build Win32 applications. Install them, starting with VS. This will automatically integrate DX and the platform SDK.
- Follow some of the tutorials and samples that come with the SDK. There is really much more information in the SDK documentation than most beginners seem to find in it.

Hope this works for you! Good luck. Illco

it didn't work...
what's a msvcr80.dll file , it says that i'm missing it so my program doesn't execute
doesn't anyone have a step-by-step plan to install directX sdk into microsoft visual C++ 2005... i'm still on it since days and days... i wanna start programming !!!
thanx

[Edited by - cader on December 31, 2005 5:03:19 AM]

msvcr80.dll is one of the new C Runtime DLLs that the new compiler uses. If you look in the install directory of the compiler there will be a redist directory that contains msvcr80.dll as well as a couple other DLLs and a .manifest file. Copy all of these files to your program directory and all should be fine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement