Which 2d game lib to go to next?

Started by
11 comments, last by Downer 18 years, 3 months ago
Hey there! I am a c++ programmer who has years of experience in c++, but until recently I have had no real game experience. For the past few months, I have been writing a card game using the Popcap framework and while it suites its purpose, it is a bit slow speed wise. As a result I am looking for a good, solid 2d game library that will allow me to write FAST 2d games in c++. I am not afraid to go low level, however I would like to avoid reinventing the wheel whenever possible as it saves time. I have looked at Allegro, SDL, and DirectX (I am not a big fan, popcap is based on this) so far. What I would like to know is what you guys would recommend as a good library for 2d games :). Here is a screenshot of my current game: Thanks for your help :D.
Advertisement
Direct3D (if used properly) is actually pretty much the fasted you can get on Windows. Specifically look at the ID3DXSprite and ID3DXFont interfaces. Those are highly optimised wrappers for using 2D in 3D.

HTH,
Pat.

PS: Very nice background image and cards [smile]
Quote:Original post by darookie
Direct3D (if used properly) is actually pretty much the fasted you can get on Windows. Specifically look at the ID3DXSprite and ID3DXFont interfaces. Those are highly optimised wrappers for using 2D in 3D.

HTH,
Pat.

PS: Very nice background image and cards [smile]

or opengl, they both can be good for 2D
Quote:PS: Very nice background image and cards

Thanks :). This game was a team effort so the artist did all of that bit and I agree that he did a really good job on it ;).

Thanks for the help. I will look into the libraries you guys suggested.

Although one thing, the market I am after is casual gamers. As a result, I am not sure if I can use pure 3d acceleration (That is what my project manager tells me anyway). If I simulate 2d with 3d then won't people without decent video cards be unable to run my games?

Opengl enjoys wide comapatbility with most computers. Given that you would only have to use its basic features to churn out a 2D game, I think that would work fine. If you don't know how to use Opengl, try the Nehe tutorials: http://nehe.gamedev.net
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
Quote:PS: Very nice background image and cards

Thanks :). This game was a team effort so the artist did all of that bit and I agree that he did a really good job on it ;).

Thanks for the help. I will look into the libraries you guys suggested.

Although one thing, the market I am after is casual gamers. As a result, I am not sure if I can use pure 3d acceleration (That is what my project manager tells me anyway). If I simulate 2d with 3d then won't people without decent video cards be unable to run my games?

that's not true. you could use OGL without extensions and reach 100% of PC (Mac and Linux) users. or... you could use D3D7 (with PCs not other non-Win32/64 OSes) and have the same reach. The trick is not to use all the fancy tricks the newer versions provide you with.

[Edited by - Alpha_ProgDes on December 30, 2005 4:40:26 PM]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Ah that sounds like the way to go then.

Thanks for all the help!
If cross-platform compatibility is important, you can use openGL with SDL. SDL handles the platform dependent stuff like creating a graphics context, as well as providing access to low level subsystems other than graphics, like sound and input.
Be careful not to confuse engines and libraries. The Popcap Framework is exactly that, an engine, a.k.a. framework.

You said you looked into Allegro, SDL, and DirectX. Allegro is a framework. SDL and DirectX are libraries. You will be re-inventing more of the wheel if you go with libraries instead of an engine.

Look here: http://gpwiki.org/index.php/Game_Engines

Specifically:
HGE
Goblin2D+
Photon
Popcap Framework (which you used)
PTK
Clanlib (calls itself a framework)

It seems Allegro calls itself a library, I haven't used it but I have heard a lot about it and it seems more like a framework.

The lower the level, the more power, the more work.
I guess I will just have to play around and see what works best. I already know popcap so if I can't find something better, then I will just stick with that :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement