• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

V Cards With Shared Memory

This topic is 4497 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've come across a nVidia 6200 based card, with 16MB of onboard memory and "support for 128MB of shared memory". Needless to say, my 3D app will not run, failing with an "out of Video Memory" error message. Am I just out of luck on this card, or is there some way to get the DirectX 3D world to take advantage of the shared memory? Thanks and Happy New Year! Brad

Advertisement
Hmm...interesting. Is this a laptop on onboard view card (ie implanted in the motherboard)? I've heard of that being done before, where the onboard card itself has a very low amount of RAM, but shares other system RAM as well.

However, I seriously doubt there is any functionality in DX that makes this shared memory pool act like the video memory pool. If it could be done at all, the driver would have to do it. And even then, it would be very slow.

What kind of resource returns the 'out of memory' error? Normally these types of cards put the framebuffer(s) in VRAM and everything else in system RAM, so a huge framebuffer with 2 backbuffers plus depth and stencil for example won't fit in 16MB.

If it is an onboard chip, the amount of system memory "shared" with the graphics chip may be set on the motherboard or in the BIOS. We have a system like that at work. It has 16MB onboard and the motherboard has an additional 128MB. In the BIOS we set how much of that 128 is given to the graphics chip.

Sorry! I've been off line for a while.

The card is a standard PCI Express add on, installed in a Dell 5150 desktop. The 5150 does have an onboard chip but it is being ignored. The error message occurs trying to load a large bmp file to be used as a background image. The function call is:

hRet = CreateOffscreenPlainSurface(Blt->dx, Blt->dy,
Screens[Screen].d3dpp.BackBufferFormat,
D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, // DX9
&Blt->lpImageSurface, NULL);

The device configuration, 32bpp, 1024x768 with zbuffer, initializes fine.

By the way, the original code set up the device for HW vertex processing (D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING)... I switched to SW thinking that might be the issue, but no joy.

Thanks for any and all help!
Brad

p.s. This is not a hugh issue; worst case I get a card with 128MB of real graphics memory. However, I am kind of curious since alot of laptops seem to use shared mem.

Definitely odd. Not much use in having 128MB of shared memory if you aren't allowed to use it.

If you haven't already, here are some other things to try:
1) Check the Debug Ouput with the debug level set to maximum (see Forum FAQ if you need more details)
2) Update your drivers, could be a bug.
3) Buy a new graphics card. :)

Ken,

Thanks for the thoughts. Definitely will try the driver update... haven't done that even tho' I have been bit by that before (if I had a dollar for everytime I forgot to apply driver updates...)

Thanks,
Brad

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement