Developing a Game?

Started by
11 comments, last by nprz 18 years, 3 months ago
Hi, i just got Beginning c++ game programming and i was wondering how much i would need to learn to be able to create a simple 2D game with c++ after getting through this book. is there another book i could get after this that wuold show me how to incert a bitmap, sprite, tiles ect using c++. Because i looked at this book and it was all text based games but i was unsure if it went over incerting bitmaps using c++. Im still defenitly going to finish this book i just want to know were to go next after i finish it. Thanx
Advertisement
well you will have to take up a development package such as SDL which i am on now... allegro... opengl... or windows programming... i tried windows programming after reading that book and its kind of a motivation killer lol... ide skip it and goto sdl just make sure you know your pointers well.

Is directX the same thing as SDL, allegro, and opengl. If so what are the differents is one better then the other or easier to use?
DirectX and OpenGl are generally for 3d, SDL and Allegro are for 2d graphics. I know with SDL you can add sound and other things to you programs. I suggest you use SDL. In my opinion it is the easiest to learn and use.

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
OpenGL only handles graphics, so it is a bit different than SDL, Allegro and DirectX which also handle things like Window creation, Sound, Input devices (Keyboard, Mouse), Timers and some networking. There are libraries such as OpenGLUT or freeGLUT which are utility toolkits to handle input, timers and window creation.

There are tutorials for SDL that can help you with getting started with SDL. Personally I haven't read any of them, but I assume they are good. The Forum FAQ has more links on SDL, Allegro, DirectX, Win32 and OpenGL.
I assume your using windows, probably the best 3d engine for windows is directx , but there is a lot more to games than 3d and 2d you will have to worry about input , sound , networking etc.. OpenGL wouldn't provide as much as DirectX and neither would SDL but OpenGL has a huge advantage over DirectX its platform independent (i.e it can work on any O/S) and SDL is easier to use, so :

DirectX:
Advantages:
Provides 3d, 2d, input, Sound, Networking
Disadvantages:
Not platform Independent

OpenGL:
Advantages:
Provides 3d, input, Platform independent
Disadvantages:
Lacks a lot of other functionality

SDL:
Advantages:
Provides 2d, input, really Easy to use
Disadvantages:

this is a very , very simple analysis , if I had time I would make a full objective analysis between them sorry , so the more efficient choice would be DirectX , the less efficient but more expandable choice would be OpenGL, the more newbie choice would be SDL , of course there is a lot of other factors for example , the language your going to use , the type of game your making not just the geometrician type , if you plan on going Pro with game development you better learn them all , even better make your own; hope this narrowed the choices down for you.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
I started with "Beginning Game Programming" which does 2D pretty well and it even Slightly touches 3D while using DirectX. There's good news and bad news about this book though...

BAD = It's out of date, so you'll probably have some trouble compiling the code. However, the changes are pretty minor,... after all it was my 1st game dev book and I figured them out.

GOOD = After using this book and making a few of my little games, I really feel that my 2D game dev ability is only limited by my imagination.

Now, I'm half way through "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX (2nd Ed.).

Good Luck.
well after messing with DirectX for a while now(not too long) I would recommend that if your just beginning C++ stay away from DirectX for a while. and I would probably learn some windows programming as well before doing DirectX.
if you really wanna make a game ASAP. Id do it in OpenGL wuth GLUT.:)

Thanx for all the help i think im gunna go directX or openGL after i understand C++ more. Also if you have any recommendations for books about DirectX or openGL or any more information on the subject im open to sugestions.

Thanx

p.s. my final goal after learning all i need to know is to make a rpg or mmo but im a long way from that goal its seems lol
--
Quote:Original post by Code Fusion
SDL:
Advantages:
Provides 2d, input, really Easy to use
Disadvantages:

what functionality does it lack? if you allow openGL to count as 3D for it (and i will), and you count the common expansion libraries (SDL: TTF, NET, IMAGE ) then it does about as much or more than many libraries do. and its nice and easy too

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement