• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
White Scorpion

Extended common controls

This topic is 4555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, I have decided not to use WxWidgets and to program only for Windows. I have a problem, though. When I initialize the common controls, my compiler doesn't recognize InitCommonControlsEx() nor INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX nor ICC_STANDARD_CLASSES but it recognizes ICC_TAB_CLASSES (wonder why :lol: ) which is a little bit disturbing because I include windows.h, commctrl.h and I link comctl32.a. Do you guys have any idea why my compiler bugs me like that ?
IControl::IControl() : enabled(true)
{
    INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX icc = { 0 };
    icc.dwSize  = sizeof(icc);
    icc.dwICC   = ICC_TAB_CLASSES;
    InitCommonControlsEx(&icc);
}

A friend solved my problem over MSN by adding "#define _WIN32_IE 0x0300" but could someone explain why and were to find a reference where it says when it is needed to define a value such as this one ? I looked up on MSDN but couldn't find it.

Advertisement
This stuff isn't available on older versions of Windows*, so when you define that symbol you're basically saying 'I'm going to run this on a later version of Windows, I don't care about the older versions that don't support common controls, so let me do it and give me access to those structs and functions.'

*Specifically, you need Windows 95, which is old enough, but with IE 3 installed, which didn't come installed by default on Win95, so there's a chance that someone might not have it. If you run your app on such a computer you'll get some error, probably a missing DLL popup.

More specifically, in Commctrl.h, the INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX is defined when:
#if (_WIN32_IE >= 0x0300)
typedef struct tagINITCOMMONCONTROLSEX {
DWORD dwSize; // size of this structure
DWORD dwICC; // flags indicating which classes to be initialized
} INITCOMMONCONTROLSEX, *LPINITCOMMONCONTROLSEX;

There're some more stuff that requires higher version of a particular library:
#if (_WIN32_IE >= 0x0400)
#define ICC_INTERNET_CLASSES 0x00000800
#define ICC_PAGESCROLLER_CLASS 0x00001000 // page scroller
#define ICC_NATIVEFNTCTL_CLASS 0x00002000 // native font control
#endif
#if (_WIN32_WINNT >= 0x501)
#define ICC_STANDARD_CLASSES 0x00004000
#define ICC_LINK_CLASS 0x00008000
#endif

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!