• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kakason

Help with VC++ 2005

This topic is 4706 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Everytime, I create a project in VC++ 2005, I have to manually disable embed manifest, is there a way where I can create a new project and embed manifest is disabled already? Murakami Kakason

Advertisement
Ok, it's like this, whenever it's on and I compile my project I get this error:

Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cmd.exe'.

So when I turn it off, that doesn't show anymore. btw, I'm using Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2, lol just in case it had to do with the OS.

And what good does the embed manifest bring?

This is probably a bug in VS 2005 Beta version, you may take a look at these two links for more infos:
A link
More link

As far as I know, the manifest file (written in XML format) to tell newer OSes (since Windows XP) to use the new Common Control Dialog library. You just plug this file into the EXE resource then the application will use the new shiny looking interface of Windows XP, no code is required. This is a sample manifest file that does it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="MyName.MyApplication.MyProgram"
type="win32"
/>
<description>Some explain about your program.</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

The manifest can also be used to list other dependencies besides the common controls library. This is useful when deploying the application - it simplifies ensuring binary compatibility with the runtime environment.

So do yous guys know where I can edit the project defaults so I don't have to change every time I create a new project?

Murakami Kakason

You may take a look at this article to decide whether or not it should be disabled.
Quote:
Similarly, while building a C++ application using Visual C++ 2005, by default the compiler and the linker generate a manifest file that describes runtime dependencies of this application on Visual C++ libraries.

Visual C++ libraries cannot be used by a C/C++ application without a manifest binding the application to these libraries. If a C/C++ application that depends on a Visual C++ library does not use a manifest, then an attempt to load the Visual C++ library as a dependent DLL from the application-local folder will result in an error message indicating that this is an unsupported way of loading a Visual C++ library.

By the way, did you fix the problem with 'cmd.exe' ?.

Quote:
Original post by Skeleton_V@T

By the way, did you fix the problem with 'cmd.exe' ?.

Nope, that was the problem to begin with, because of that, i had to disable embed manifest, then the program can compile and link.

Unfortunately I don't use VS 2005 so I can't give you a sample project. This is what Microsoft says about error PRJ0003:
Quote:
Visual C++ Concepts: Building a C/C++ Program
Project Build Error PRJ0003

Error spawning 'command line'.

A command, command line, which was formed from input in the Property Pages dialog box, returned an error code but no information will appear in the Output window.

Possible reasons for this error:

* Low system resources. Close some applications to resolve this.
* Insufficient security privileges. Verify that you have sufficient security privileges.
* The executable paths specified in VC++ Directories do not include the path for the tool that you are attempting to run.
* For makefile projects, you are missing a command to run on either Build Command Line or Rebuild Command Line.

People in the links I gave also suggested adding a path to the missing tool ('cmd.exe') in VS Environment variables. Did you try this ?.

Hey, thanks Skeleton_V@T, adding the path to cmd.exe really fixes it.
Thanks again. ^_^, I'm so happy now.

Murakami Kakason

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!