Proceduraly generated text

Started by
8 comments, last by dawidjoubert 18 years, 3 months ago
i really dont know if it should be on game or general programing forums, so im gonna put this here :P basicly im looking for something that can create a text about current game situation, and do it diferent times with diferent text styles, they dont need to be 100% original or proceduraly made, they only need to not look/feel repetitive (ie same type of phrases over and over) however i can find anything about it, or anything remeotely similar anywhere, does anyone know of somewhere or something i can use for research? thx in advance
"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
Advertisement
You could look at the UNIX rant program. And also this page.

Quote:
nicollet@clipper /users/04/info/nicollet
> rant 4
The attractiveness. A major type theory based upon a procedure.

By Victor Nicollet.

In the light of the fact that a time constraint being collected
together with a vague concept centered around the effective
installation connected up to a standardized follow-up is plainly
sufficient, the concurrently beginning opportunity is not beyond the
significant use, but in conjunction with the fact that the standardized
reification in the vicinity of the important outcome by the combination
is not inefficiently adequate, a situation is very contemplatable. A
current view was not complicated. The next phase is not basically
activating. This is in substantial agreement with the fact that a
physical coverage is not authorized, but in the light of the fact that
a final ending is being merged together with the environment, the
outcome is not unprecedented.
There are ways to do it, but they tend to be a bit on the computationally expensive side, and they're very mathematic, so beware.

A good way to generate random, semi-coheirent text is with something called a Markov chain. Markov chains utilize a frequency table to generate an output that corresponds with the data given; Give it the texts of a few dozen books and it'll produce a book that has similar patterning in the linguistics.

The problem with this is it seems almost random, even though it often makes sense grammatically. Markov chains also have a lot of other applications; Google (the Search Engine, not the company) is basically a Markov chain-based link indexing system (imagine a frequency table with over a hundred billion elements and you can see why Google needs advertising to pay for itself).

No, the real solution here isn't computational horse power, it's sitting down and doing the work. It may take a while, but it's going to be a hell of a lot better than anything a computer could generate.
Quote:Original post by ciroknight
No, the real solution here isn't computational horse power, it's sitting down and doing the work. It may take a while, but it's going to be a hell of a lot better than anything a computer could generate.

you mean by having someone doing it? its not really a option in my case, since i need to tell the player the specifics of random generated mission

"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
For research, try the term "generative grammar".
Get Emacs and run dissociative press.
Simple generated text won't be fancy, but it won't be ugly either. Just have a few key verbs and verb phrases (go, kill, etc.), a list of places, heros, and whatever else is important in your game. Pronouns could be added to make it seem more natural. Sort of like this:

Go to planet Earth, capture 10 Canadians, and bring them to the Sun. Then, buy...

I've never done it, but it doesn't seem too hard. You said you don't want it to look repetitive, but I don't think that will be too noticable.

[Edited by - Daniel Miller on January 2, 2006 4:46:15 AM]
Quote:Original post by The Alchemist
Quote:Original post by ciroknight

you mean by having someone doing it? its not really a option in my case, since i need to tell the player the specifics of random generated mission

Then like Daniel said, you're simply going to create a few patchwork phrases with %s's in them, and sprintf in the values. If you ask me, it's going to get really, really repetitive with a small number of strings, but I guess if you felt like it, you could just write those hundreds of strings, but then the problem comes: in how many different ways can you express "Go to location %s"?
well if u could have it generate 5 diffrent texts and then pre-save them u could still have dynamic play.

Only the best in the line will know that, the average gamer wont play it more than 3 times.

AND, if ur doing cdkeys u can seed random from there for the texts!! hehe
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
well if u could have it generate 5 diffrent texts and then pre-save them u could still have dynamic play.

Only the best in the line will know that, the average gamer wont play it more than 3 times.

AND, if ur doing cdkeys u can seed random from there for the texts!! hehe
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement