Vertexsize from FVF

Started by
4 comments, last by m4gnus 18 years, 3 months ago
First the topic is a bit misleading but it's the best topic i came up with.. I'm not only trying to get the vertexsize from the FVF but also bit-offsets to get pointers to the other elements of the vertex..(if you haven't understood this right know maybe looking at my code could help). I don't know what is wrong with my code but if i pass D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_TEX1|D3DFVF_NORMAL to the function it doesn't execute the normal part but some texture stuff(which isn't included here) and the vertex size i get is 44 which isn't right.. it should be 32 anyway, my code:

//Those -inc s are the offset for the vertexptr to get to the data you want..
	//i.e. :if you want the normal data you can do vertexptr+nromalinc and you have a pointer to it
	int normalinc=0;
	int texcoordinc=0;
	int szfloat=sizeof(float);
	int size=0;
	//test which fvf-code are included in fvf:

if((fvf & D3DFVF_XYZ)==D3DFVF_XYZ)size+=3*sizeof(float);
	else if((fvf & D3DFVF_XYZRHW)==D3DFVF_XYZRHW)size+=4*sizeof(float);
	if((fvf & D3DFVF_NORMAL)==D3DFVF_NORMAL)
	{
		normalinc=size;	
		size+=3*sizeof(float);
	}
	if((fvf & D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)==D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)size+=sizeof(D3DCOLOR);
	if((fvf & D3DFVF_SPECULAR)==D3DFVF_SPECULAR)size+=sizeof(D3DCOLOR);

if(fvf & D3DFVF_TEX1)
	{
		texcoordinc=size;
		size+=2*sizeof(float);

}

//Here is the uncompleted code for the other fvfs...

I'm aware of D3DXGetFVFVertexSize but it doesn't help me in this case.. i hope anyone understood what i want and can help me regards, m4gnus [Edited by - m4gnus on December 31, 2005 6:41:12 AM]
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Advertisement
I understand what you want; it is clear. Have you looked into vertex declarations? These are the replacements for (old) FVFs and do precisely what you are trying to do manually.

Now for the size of D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_TEX1|D3DFVF_NORMAL. It seems to me this vertex consists of 3 + 2 + 3 floats = 8 floating points. The vertex size would be a multiple of 8 and can therefore never be 36 (rahter 32).

I'm currently looking into your code...

Illco
oops ok you're right about the 32bytes...

btw the fvf for D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_TEX1|D3DFVF_NORMAL was 0x000000112 if i remember right
"There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't."
Just a quick guess, but shouldn't this line:

if(fvf & D3DFVF_TEX1)

be

if( (fvf & D3DFVF_TEX1) == D3DFVF_TEX1)

That also seems consistent with the 2 * 4 bytes you get too much (assuming a float is 4 bytes in unmanaged code too)... It may not apply to your problem directly, but it seems to be off anyway...
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Your code works fine. My test:
#include <stdio.h>#include <d3dx9.h>int ComputeFVFSize( DWORD fvf ){//Those -inc s are the offset for the vertexptr to get to the data you want..	//i.e. :if you want the normal data you can do vertexptr+nromalinc and you have a pointer to it	int normalinc=0;	int texcoordinc=0;	int szfloat=sizeof(float);	int size=0;	//test which fvf-code are included in fvf:		if((fvf & D3DFVF_XYZ)==D3DFVF_XYZ)size+=3*sizeof(float);	else if((fvf & D3DFVF_XYZRHW)==D3DFVF_XYZRHW)size+=4*sizeof(float);	if((fvf & D3DFVF_NORMAL)==D3DFVF_NORMAL)	{		normalinc=size;			size+=3*sizeof(float);	}	if((fvf & D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)==D3DFVF_DIFFUSE)size+=sizeof(D3DCOLOR);	if((fvf & D3DFVF_SPECULAR)==D3DFVF_SPECULAR)size+=sizeof(D3DCOLOR);	if(fvf & D3DFVF_TEX1)	{		texcoordinc=size;		size+=2*sizeof(float);			}        //Here is the uncompleted code for the other fvfs...	return size;}void main( void ){	DWORD dwFVF = D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_TEX1|D3DFVF_NORMAL;	printf( "Size of FVF is %d.\n", ComputeFVFSize( dwFVF ) );}

The program prints:
Size of FVF is 32.

Illco
yeah sorry i also discovered that right now :/ the function was called from somewhere else with another fvf ...

regards,
m4gnus

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement