• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maxest

reaction on collision with wall

This topic is 4606 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello detecing collisions isn't sa hard as the reaction on them! i was thinking about collision with wall, that is not parallel to any axis. i think i would use well-known equation of straight. but how to react on the collision? i would like to do something standard reaction like in all fpp games

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Personally, when I walk into a wall I stop moving then double over on the floor in pain.

So for an FPS, a good reaction is to have the player stop all motion. Lose 5 health points. and stay crouching till you press the jump key to get back up.
Maybe even have a timer where you stay stunned for a few seconds before youre allowed to move again.

Possibilities are

1) to stop the motion and shift the avatar back from where it comes until the collision doesn't exist any more; that looks like the avatar has stopped just before collision

2) like 1) but to reflect the avatar's new position over the normal of the wall; that looks like the avatar has stopped after a collision, so the happened collision will be "visible"; however, this could be interesting in corners...

3) don't stop the avatar but let it slide along the wall (if it wasn't collided just frontal); perhaps make the sliding conditional of the angle of collision, so that the avatar is stopped if run more or less frontal on a wall

4) like 3) but re-orientate the avatar along the wall in direction of the original motion

In FPSs 3) or 4) may be more senseful since the avatar remains in motion. In RPGs possibly 1) and 2) are more senseful.

You could take into account to display a collision by some "Ouch!" animation, of course.

basic FPS response (Quake, Half Life, ect...), it's the good old reflection algorithm.

V -= (1 + CoR) * ((V . N) / (N . N)) * N

V is the velocity vector of the player
N is the normal of the wall (not necessary normalised in this example).
CoR is a scalar, and represents the coefficient of restitution (a float in range [0, 1]).
the operator '.' is a vector dot product.

It's all simple vector equations, and will make the player bounce / slide (if CoR is = 0) or get pushed hard away from a wall (think force field, CoR > 1).

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1832.asp

basic vector maths.

for dot product, it's simply

V . N = V.x * N.x + V.y * N.y + V.z * N.z

vector scalar operations... (k is a float)

V * k = k * V = vector(V.x * k, V.y * k, V.z * k)
V / k = V * (1 / k) = vector(V.x / k, V.y / k, V.z / k)

vector additions, subtractions

A + B = B + A = vector(A.x + B.x, A.y + B.y, A.z + B.z)
A - B = vector(A.x - B.x, A.y - B.y, A.z - B.z)
-A = vector(-A.x, -A.y, -A.z)

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Personally, when I walk into a wall I stop moving then double over on the floor in pain.

So for an FPS, a good reaction is to have the player stop all motion. Lose 5 health points. and stay crouching till you press the jump key to get back up.
Maybe even have a timer where you stay stunned for a few seconds before youre allowed to move again.
Perhaps you meant to be sarcastic, but in case you didn't: the reason no single game does what you're suggesting is that it results in horrible gameplay.

In general, realistic behavior is hardly ever fun in a game. For example, in the first Tony Hawk's Pro Skater game, we set the gravity differently in the air and on the ground to facilitate better air time and the skaters can get some insane air. With realistic gravity, the game would have been no fun at all.

Same thing with wall collision detection and reaction. No one deliberately walks into a wall in real life (perhaps unless drunk or on a dare). Thus, it's safe to assume the player didn't really mean to walk into the wall. Therefore the collision response should be such to help the player get away from the wall, i.e. letting the player slide against the wall, and perhaps also angle the player away from the wall.

You'll find that most if not all games have a lot of hacks to deal with collision reaction with walls and doorways to aid the player as much as possible.

oliii... c'mon.. i was thinking about more complicated formulas ;) not about well-known things :D
for example i found very interesting formula on calculating the reflected vector:

rV = V - 2N * (V . N)

rV - reflected (output) vector
V - input vector
N - normal of the wall
. - dot product

but thank for link; i'll look at it

Christer: could you try to publish this book in poland? :) i would buy it with pleasure but importing foreign books to poland is horribly costly!

and i have some problem with the formula
V -= (1 + CoR) * ((V . N) / (N . N)) * N
i mean.. it works.. but.. if i want it to work correctly i have to include into calculations angle of player. maybe i do some's wrong. i would really be thankful if anyone could peek at the source http://maxest.fm.interia.pl/wall_collision.zip and tell me what should be changed. i think that my code is well organised

it's working. you just have some logic problems, and be careful of teh operator precedence.

void Engine()
{
if (keys[VK_LEFT])
angle-=5.0f;
if (keys[VK_RIGHT])
angle+=5.0f;

if (angle<0.0f)
angle+=360.0f;
if (angle>360.0f)
angle-=360.0f;

if (keys[VK_UP])
{
player.x=+sinf(deg2rad(angle));
player.y=-cosf(deg2rad(angle));
}
if (keys[VK_DOWN])
{
player.x=-sinf(deg2rad(angle));
player.y=+cosf(deg2rad(angle));
}

if (posy<50.0f/* && (angle<90 || angle>270)*/)
{
posy = 50.0f;
float cor = 1.0f;
float j = ((player%normal)/(normal%normal));

player-= ((1.0f + cor) * j) * normal;
}

posx+=2*player.x;
posy+=2*player.y;
}

my mistake was missing:
posy = 50.0f;

but even with this the collision is not excatly as i imagined. the "hero" twitches when it tries to cross the wall. even if cor is set on 0. BUT i found some way to eliminate twitching. that's my solution:

void Engine()
{
if (keys[VK_LEFT])
angle-=5.0f;
if (keys[VK_RIGHT])
angle+=5.0f;

if (angle<0.0f)
angle=360.0f;
if (angle>360.0f)
angle=0.0f;

if (keys[VK_UP])
{
player.x=+sinf(deg2rad(angle));
player.y=-cosf(deg2rad(angle));
}
if (keys[VK_DOWN])
{
player.x=-sinf(deg2rad(angle));
player.y=+cosf(deg2rad(angle));
}

float angle_between=45;

if (keys[VK_UP])
{
if (posy<-posx+250 && (angle<90-angle_between || angle>270-angle_between))
{
player-=(player%normal)/(normal%normal)*normal;
}
}
else
if (keys[VK_DOWN])
{
if (posy<-posx+250 && (angle>90-angle_between && angle<270-angle_between))
{
player-=(player%normal)/(normal%normal)*normal;
}
}

if (keys[VK_UP] || keys[VK_DOWN])
{
posx+=2*player.x;
posy+=2*player.y;
}
}

maybe it will beuseful to someone. but unfortunately it requires to find the angle between the wall and x-axis

for (;;)
printf("THX FOR EVERYTHING :)\n");

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!