• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Javelin

CSG algorithms?

This topic is 4676 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm creating an editor for 3D games and I would like to use CSG to build the basic geometry. What I need is to find some pseudo code and/or detailed description over the various operations (union, difference, intersection, complement). I know what they do, but not exactly how. I could probably build the functions, but it's foolish to reinvent the wheel... :) I'm not interested in real time CSG (which is what you find with google). Any ideas is helpful? // Javelin

Advertisement
I've implemented CSG a few times, and my suggestion is DON'T USE THE BSP METHOD! For complex models it causes excessive splitting and it's slow compared to the method I used last (at least as far as I can write it).

The last time I did this I used a combination of two things: Icoseptrees and this CSG algorithm. I tested the icoseptree against an octree and it won comfortably. The only thing about Laidlaw's CSG paper is it's very complicated an involves storing a lot of connectivity data and ensuring there are no T-junctions. I didn't do any of that in the end - I allowed T-junctions and tested whether a point was inside/outside by raycasting as in the paper but I didn't bother using connectivity information, which meant I just stored a linked list of polygons in each leaf of the tree, and my polygons were just an array of points. I've tried implementing all the edge connectivity stuff before, and basically I eventually came to the conclusion that it's nowhere near worth it in performance or any other terms - if you need a connected model stitch it all back together when you're done with CSG.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!