Unable to properly run SDL applications in windows

Started by
23 comments, last by basement 18 years, 2 months ago
Hello, Whenever i try to run a SDL application in windows the window "freezes", by that i mean nothing is drawn in it and only what was behind the window when the application started is seen in the window (kinda hard to explain :D). I've tried two different versions of SDL and four different DLLs. I've tried both programs written in python and C++, I'v tried wriing them myself and those written by others. I've tried compiling myself and precompiled binaries. Nothing works :'(. SDL works like a charm in KUbuntu linux on the same computer. Intel (yes i know they suck) Pentium M 1.73Ghz 1024MB DDR RAM Intel 915i GM express or whatever it is called.
Advertisement
Please write what is the:

- Windows version
- SDL version
- compiler version

Also, it would help if you could post here smallest possible example of a program which reproduces your problem.

Personally, I'm running SDL 1.2.8/1.2.9 apps on Windows XP for about 1,5 year and never had such problems :-) probably there's sth wrong with the way you're handling your events.
I know what you are describing. It's how mine behaved when I accidently left out the code to swap the graphics buffers. Have you included this in your render function?
Quote:Original post by noteventime
Hello,
Whenever i try to run a SDL application in windows the window "freezes", by that i mean nothing is drawn in it and only what was behind the window when the application started is seen in the window (kinda hard to explain :D).
I've tried two different versions of SDL and four different DLLs.
I've tried both programs written in python and C++, I'v tried wriing them myself and those written by others.
I've tried compiling myself and precompiled binaries.
Nothing works :'(.

SDL works like a charm in KUbuntu linux on the same computer.

Intel (yes i know they suck) Pentium M 1.73Ghz
1024MB DDR RAM
Intel 915i GM express or whatever it is called.

Umm... Happened here also; are you loading something? This might not be the problem, but the only thing I can think of is some kind of infinite loop, or some kind of loading problem...

What compiler, and what windows version?

Does this work?
#include <SDL/SDL.h> // Bah, whatever it is :).int main(int, char*[]) {    SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO);    SDL_Delay(2000);    SDL_Quit();}

C++
It's not a problem with any programs i write, it's with all applications using SDL, for example ScummVM.
Quote:Original post by Koshmaar
Please write what is the:

- Windows version
- SDL version
- compiler version

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What compiler, and what windows version?

Quote:Original post by noteventime
It's not a problem with any programs i write, it's with all applications using SDL, for example ScummVM.

Maybe the dll got screwed somehow. Virus? Replace sdl.dll and see what happens.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I've tried 5 different DLL's.
I'm using Windows XP pro.
It works in KUbuntu linux on the same computer.
Have you installed video card drivers for XP?
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Yes, I have to most recent drivers from Intel (I updated them about 1½month ago so thay might not be the newest but pretty much).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement