• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

C++ Books

This topic is 4496 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings. Let me introduce myself. I'm currently a high school student. In a year, I'll be studying Computer Science in college, and then in university, to finally, and hopefully, become a game programmer. Currently, I mod and level edit for Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 (I know it's a really old game, but as soon as I get a new PC, I'll move on). Nevertheless, I wanted to start programming with an independent language. After long researches, I concluded that I will learn those programming languages/APIs (in order of learning) before beginning to program game engines: - C++ - C - OpenGL - DirectX - Visual Basic (learn in college) - Java (learn in college) So I was looking for C++ books to help me learning before I go to college. Unfortunately, I bought "Sam's Teach Yourself in 21 days" some time ago. That was a mistake. However, I'm half way through the book, and I learned some basic C++ features (Functions, classes, loops, pointers, references, overloading, etc.) Now, I'd like to buy better books that explain the language fully. I was considering "C++ Primer Plus, 5th edition", by Stephen Prata, and "The C++ Standard Library", by Jossutis, to start with. Are those good choices for someone like me? If not, please suggest books that you think are good for beginners like me.

Advertisement
Accelerated C++, by Koenig and Moo. The Josuttis book is a 'must-have', also. After those, move on to Meyers' Effective C++, More Effective C++, Effective STL, and then onto some of Sutter's books.

"Teach your self ANSI C++ in 21 days" is a lot better than the other book but, if you want a full coverage of all the features of the language here it is:

"Bjarne Stroustrup The C++ Programming Language 3rd Ed"
Every aspect of c++ from the creator of C++ , its not the easiest book to learn but it will get you throught.

"Thinking In C++ Part II"
this doesn't just cover the Syntax Aspect of C++ , but the whole development process starting from the idea and ending with the final app.

"Practical C++ Programming"
you can guess from the name , this book is full of real-life applications to test a lot of Functionality in the language << really good.

of course there are other books maybe twice in size as the above covering only one aspect of the language e.g C++ Templates the complete guide , but thats for later , first you take a good grip at the language then you go deep.

Note:
You can see the reviews online at amazon.com it will give you a good idea about the content of the books.

Happy Learning.

Quote:
Original post by Code Fusion
"Bjarne Stroustrup The C++ Programming Language 3rd Ed"
Every aspect of c++ from the creator of C++ , its not the easiest book to learn but it will get you throught.

This book looks awesome, but reviews tell that it's more a reference than a tutorial. I'm looking for a tutorial. I'll probably buy that later, and use it as a reference.

Also, aren't the "Effective C++" and "Exceptional C++" books about improving your C++ style? I'd like a book covering the language, then when I'll be confident with that, I'll move on and improve my C++ style.

I'll definitely buy Josuttis' C++ Standard Library book. I'm not sure wether to buy "C++ Primer Plus" or the books you suggested. Anyone read that book? On Amazon, it's rated 5 stars, everyone seems to have liked it. It's also listed here.

I want to be sure the book I buy is good.

if you want the a tutorial then buy "Teach Your Self ANSI C++ in 21 days" its really awesome , after you read it all you gonna need is a refrence and some practising so would be some other book from the ones listed there but then you would be more wise about what you want to do with C++ , you would probably learn what ever left of the language throught Practising.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement