• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scythen

pixel / texel offset ?

This topic is 4585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I posted this question in the DirectX thread but no one responded, maybe someone here could help. If you’ve already seen the other post then I apologize for the repost. Now, back to the question. My understanding is that to align texels with pixels precisely, the geometry must be offset by half a pixel. This is because the position is actually the center of the pixel. In my case I am trying to render a screen aligned quad using a vertex shader that does not transform the verticies. The question is, if I render a full screen quad (-1,1) (1,-1) must I offset these by half a pixel? If they must be offset is this the correct formula for the offset value? Size offset = Size(0.5, 0.5) / renderTarget.Size(); Finally, should the offset be subtracted from the upper left and added to the lower right?

Advertisement
The 'pixel_offset' is actually (-1.0f/viewportWidth, 1.0f/viewportHeight) for Direct3D.
Direct3D's viewport transform is (x',y') = (X + viewportWidth/2 + (x/w) * viewportWidth/2, Y + viewportHeight/2 - (y/w) * viewportHeight/2) where (X,Y) is pixel coordinate of upper-left of viewport and (x/w,y/w) is the post-transformed vertex position - which is (-1,1),(1,-1) for fullscreen quad as you mentioned.
Replacing (x/w,y/w) with ((x/w)+pixel_offset,(y/w)+pixel_offset) in the viewport transform gives (x' - 0.5, y' - 0.5) which is what Direct3D specifies on its "Directly Mapping Texels to Pixels" page in the docs.

Also I do what's described on this site as a general framework so I never have to worry about it again... http://www.sjbrown.co.uk/?article=directx_texels

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!