• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Making a Best-Fit Type of program

This topic is 4434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im trying to figure ou how i cant test the users pc for resolutions... for my sdl game... tiling may become an issue for many with a slow pcs at a high resolution... i wanted to know if theres a way i could make a program test each resolution and pick one most optimal for the user... and output it to a test file so that the game can read it... or somthing like that? also how would i figure out the minimum requirmentsfor a game? how to calculate it i guess... oh and its in c++ thanks!

Advertisement
What exactly do you mean by "the most optimal" , if its the fastest you can run a couple of test the first time the app is run and test the Fps on a range of reslutions , and whatever is the fastest output it to a txt file and whenever the program is run again just input the text file into the application and apply that reslution , but iam really not sure about what you mean.

Edit:
To test a minimal requirment you gotta test for every feature you try to access e.g Hardware Vertex Processors , Vertex Shaders , pixel shaders etc.. i dont know how it works in SDL but in DX you use GetDeviceCaps

try SDL_ListModes to get a list of good video modes, run the game at those for a little while and measure your fps. it is always preferab;e to allow the players to choose themselves though, you may not like playing at 30fps but other people might not mind if they can get a higher resolution...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement