• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
caseyd

C++ .net confusion

This topic is 4529 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have done almost all of my C++ programming in Visual C++ 6.0. I put off programming for while but I am now getting back into it and have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I downloaded the VC++ 2005 Express Edition and have that up and running. I was wondering if and how I can write Win32 Programs in it without all the managed .net features. I would like to be able to slowly ease into the new features without having to relearn everything. I'm more interested in making games at the moment. Or should I instead spend the time and learn the new coding paradigm? I am thinking about just installing VC++6.0 and using that alongside C++ 2005. Any thoughts, suggestions, links would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
The first step is to install the Platform SDK. Once you have that installed and properly configured you'll be able to create normal (non-managed) applications with MSVC 2005.

Just download the platform sdk [instructions should be available from where you downloaded the IDE from], and you can write win32 applications. Without the sdk, you can still write basic console type stuff without problems. All without any .NET functionality.

CM

Yes I did that and updated all the paths. When I select File->New Project though, the only option I have is for a Win32 Console Application and a Windows Forms applications. Did I do something wrong?

Select the Win32 console project, go to the dialog page and on the settings you can change it to a Windows application.

Wow. Okay. I guess I never hit next, instead just hitting finish. Thanks.
Are there any issues using DX9 or SDL with this compiler/IDE?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!