• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Raeldor

Double vertices for animated models?

This topic is 4671 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just want to check that for my node class, that in addition to the static vertices that belong to the model, that I also have another vertex array of the same size to put the new animated vertices in once I have calculated the animation blending? This is assuming of course that I am doing this in code, and that nothing is in vertex shaders yet. Oh, and also that this is skinned meshes, not just a hierarchial object model. Thanks!

Advertisement
Are you talking about vertex keyframing for animation? Then yes, for every frame of animation, you'll need another complete set of vertices. Although keep in mind that only the actual positions change, not the normals, not the tex coords.

If this isn't what you're talking about then ignore me.

Quote:
Original post by Endar
Are you talking about vertex keyframing for animation? Then yes, for every frame of animation, you'll need another complete set of vertices. Although keep in mind that only the actual positions change, not the normals, not the tex coords.

Yes, I think we are talking about the same thing. Surely the normals must change or be recalculated too?

At least it would be the easiest way. You could of course store all animations as differences between the last "frame" and apply them to the current set. But the results might be weird, float issues might make the model get weirder and there would be no way to reset it. Lots of problems that should be well worth to just store the original data in addition.

Quote:
Original post by Raeldor
Quote:
Original post by Endar

Yes, I think we are talking about the same thing. Surely the normals must change or be recalculated too?

I had thought so as well, but when you're using an API, you can re-calculate all the normals if you want, but as far as I know, when you set a rotation in the world space (model space) the normals are also rotated, so, they end up being right for the current rotation of the model/vertices/faces.

Quote:
Original post by Endar
Quote:
Original post by Raeldor
Quote:
Original post by Endar

I had thought so as well, but when you're using an API, you can re-calculate all the normals if you want, but as far as I know, when you set a rotation in the world space (model space) the normals are also rotated, so, they end up being right for the current rotation of the model/vertices/faces.

That sounds true if you are doing a simple hierachial model, but if you are doing vertex blending where a vertex can be affected by one or more bones, then unless you are using a vertex shader, I assume you have to do the UV calculation manually?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!