• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
InsaneBoarder234

Recommend me a book?

This topic is 4674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for a new game programming book but with there being so many around I wanted to get some opinions before handing over the money for a book that will disappoint me. I'm a C/C++ programmer and my preffered platform/API is Windows and DirectX. I've read "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre LaMothe and I really liked it but I would like something similar that is 'a step up' from this and possibly more up to date (more Direct3D rather than DirectDraw). If this is a bit too specific then just something a little more advanced ('a step up') than Andre LaMothe's book. Hmm, not sure what else to say other than all suggestions are welcome and thanks for taking the time to hep me out. Thanks -Nick

Advertisement
There is a series of books you might want to check out then, I found them a while back, they are also by Andre LaMothe, There are second additions out now, the origonals which I started collecting were The Premier Press Game Development Series, it has books to cover just about everythign you can think of, Game Programming All in One starts by teach C++ while making games and goes on to doing 2D then 3D in DirectX, its kinda a genreal intro to the most of the bits. The series also has books specifically for RPG games or language specific, like Java2 Game programming or Visual Basic Game Programming with DirectX, which funny enough if you us VB as a language without the form generating stuff you can actually get really fast running programs, I got that book when I got the All-in-one I mentioned cuz I didnt know C++ yet. there are also books about data structures and physic modeling and AI. its a great series.

The second ED's seem to be by Thomson Course Technology also premier press and seem to be even more pro oriented, books have many others, Andre LaMothe is the series editor, for both editions I believe but I only have 1 or 2 from the second editions and niether were by Andre, Physics Modeling for Game Programmers was by David Conger, doing searches for them on Amazon.ca/com will bring up alot of them for you, you can tell the difference of the editions by the green on the first and the sleak black with blue for the second, genereally the second edition books looks alot cooler.

I too started with that book "Tricks of the ..."
Now I'm on Beginning OpenGL Game Programming by Dave Astle and Kevin Hawkings. It's pretty easy reading so far and I needed a gentle nudge into 3D.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.

I was looking at Game Programming All In One and it looks like a very good book but in the end I settled for a Premier Press book - "Isometric Game Programming with DirectX 7.0". It has a lot of good reviews and I looked at the contents and it has a lot of topics that sound interesting. I don't think it covers any Direct3D though (I have a basic knowledge of Direct3D to be able to convert the DirectDraw code to Direct3D though).

I'm planning to get another Premier Press title soon after to help me out with the Direct3D stuff - "Focus On 2D In Direct3D".

I think I'm going to end up with a pretty nice collection of programming and game dev related books!

Again thanks for the help all.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!