Colors with textures

Started by
16 comments, last by AIRmichael 18 years, 3 months ago
What i'm looking to do is draw my polygons with textures AND a color. an example would be when i went everything to be more of a red tint. i draw everything as normal, textures and everything, then i specify the color to be something like glColorf(1.0f, 0.3f, 0.3f)
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
Advertisement
Did you try setting the material?
materials? i don't think i looked those up yet... how would i do that?
-------------------------Unless specified otherwise, my questions pertain:Windows Platform (with the mindset to keep things multi-platform as possible)C++Visual Studio 2008OpenGL with SFML
With the glMaterial*() functions.
ah, alright; is there a tutorial somewhere on how to use them?
nv/md.. i found it

float Diffuse[4];
Diffuse[0] = 1.0f;
Duffuse[1] = 0.3f;
Duffuse[2] = 0.3f;
Duffuse[3] = 1.0f;
glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE, Diffuse);
is that correct?
Material calculations are only done when lighting is enabled, mind. And about the code, it's fine but the best way is to plug it in and see for yourself [grin]. You might also want to use ambient material.

/edit: I just noticed, you mentioned in your first post that you are setting the color after you draw everything? Set the color, bind the texture, and draw. You will have nice tinted textures (this is when lighting is not enabled of course, if it is use material properties).
so should i use diffuse and ambient material? if so, should i set them to the same color value? Say i want the sprite to be partially trasparent. set the color to say 1.0, 1.0f, 1.0f, 0.5f. then set the material's diffuse and ambient to the same? what about lighting? should i just have one directional like source going perpendicular to the faces of the sprites? (this is a 2d environment)
would this be correct? i can't test it because i'm redoing my whole engine and i'm doing one part at a time :)

[source lang=c++]	// Position sprite	glLoadIdentity();	glScalef(Pos->ScaleX, Pos->ScaleY, 1.0f);	glRotatef(Pos->Radian, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f);	glTranslatef(PosX, PosY, -PosZ);	// Set the colo	glColor4f(m_fDiffuse[0], m_fDiffuse[1], m_fDiffuse[2], m_fDiffuse[3]);	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_DIFFUSE, m_fDiffuse);	glMaterialfv(GL_FRONT, GL_AMBIENT, m_fDiffuse);	// Bind the texture if there is one	if (m_pTexture == NULL)		glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, NULL);	else	        glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, m_pTexture->GetTextureData());	// Draw sprite	glBegin(GL_QUADS);	{		// Top-left		glTexCoord2d(m_FrameSrcRect.left * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetWidth(), m_FrameSrcRect.top * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetHeight());		glVertex3f(m_lFrameWidth * -0.5f, m_lFrameHeight * 0.5f, 0.0f);		// Top-right		glTexCoord2d(m_FrameSrcRect.right * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetWidth(), m_FrameSrcRect.top * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetHeight());		glVertex3f(m_lFrameWidth * 0.5f, m_lFrameHeight * 0.5f, 0.0f);		// Bottom-right		glTexCoord2d(m_FrameSrcRect.right * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetWidth(), m_FrameSrcRect.bottom * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetHeight());		glVertex3f(m_lFrameWidth * 0.5f, m_lFrameHeight * -0.5f, 0.0f);		// Bottom-left		glTexCoord2d(m_FrameSrcRect.left * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetWidth(), m_FrameSrcRect.bottom * 1.0f / m_pTexture->GetHeight());		glVertex3f(m_lFrameWidth * -0.5f, m_lFrameHeight * -0.5f, 0.0f);	}	glEnd();
Hmm I think it is possible, but blending needs to be turned on.

an example:

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, textureId );glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);glEnable(GL_BLEND);glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA ,GL_ONE);	//CHANGE COLOR	      glColor4f(particle->color[0],			    particle->color[1],			    particle->color[2],			    particle->color[3]);	glBegin(GL_QUADS);			 glTexCoord2f( 1.0f , 0.0f ); glVertex3f(-size, size, 0.0f );		       glTexCoord2f( 1.0f , 1.0f ); glVertex3f( size, size, 0.0f );			 glTexCoord2f( 0.0f , 1.0f ); glVertex3f( size,-size, 0.0f );			 glTexCoord2f( 0.0f , 0.0f ); glVertex3f(-size,-size, 0.0f );				 					glEnd();glDisable(GL_BLEND);glDisable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);

Most parts are taken straight from my particle engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement