• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Halsafar

OpenGL crashes KDE but not failsafe mode

This topic is 4672 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been struggling in the Alternative game Library forum for some help but in the end I was told to post here since we proved the problem is likely KDE/Linux related. WHen I am running Mandriva 2006 using KDE any OpenGL app (including glxgears) crashes as soon as you try to hit fullscreen or move the window around. This was also tried on maybe SDL/GL apps. I also tried IceWM and it crashes the same as KDE. IT crashes nicely tho, simply returns to the KDM login screen. /var/log/messages shows very little relevant except that the display was unexpectedly terminated and then the session is closed. Now, if I boot into failsafe mode then it all works just fine. All OpenGL apps including glxgears runs just fine, no problems at all. 600+ FPS Is there any way I can get more info on whats going ? Perhaps some help to make it work in KDE? Who could I report this to? KDE developers? I'm totally lost on this one expcept I fear it could be memory related. My guess is KDE is using up a ton of video memory (only have 64mb shared) which may be causing OGL to go down. Any help is welcome, thanks Halsafar

Advertisement
I haven't seen this problem before, but perhaps you're right and it's the video memory. You can try this:

Open the KDE control center, go to "appearance & themes", click on "style", then go to the "effects" tab. Take down all the GUI effects, including the menu transparency thing. Then remove your desktop background.

If this does fix your problem, really it's a temporary workaround at best. Your real problem probably lies with your video driver. Make sure you have the latest version of X (preferably xorg and not xfree86 - most newer distros will use this anyways), and make sure if your driver isn't included with X, it's updated to the latest version as well.

What video card / chip do you have? What drivers for it are you using (built-in X / Proprietary)?

I've pretty well disabled everything already. I did however add your suggestion to the list of GUI/Windows related special settings. I still get the problem's.

Again, it all works fine in failsafe...

AS for my chipset:

- Video Card = SiS M760GX
- OUtput from 'X -version':
"This is a pre-release version of the The X.Org Foundation X11.
It is not supported in any way.
Bugs may be filed in the bugzilla at http://bugs.freedesktop.org/.
Select the "xorg" product for bugs you find in this release.
Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions please check the
latest version in the The X.Org Foundation "monolithic tree" CVS
repository hosted at http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/xorg/
X Window System Version 6.8.99.900 (6.9.0 RC 0)
Release Date: 01 August 2005 + cvs
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.8.99.900"

- It does have a driver for SiS.. sis_drv.so exists in the drivers dir. Not sure of its version at all. Do not know how to check.

Lastly, a few people have informed me that Mandriva 2006 ships with a unstable version of XORG. X 7.0 was recently released now I just need Mandriva to release the pre-built binary.

Thanks,
Halsafar

I guess all I can say is that I hope the xorg upgrade fixes it when it comes out. If not, you might want to go to a bigger linux forum (like linuxquestions.org/questions) and ask in "hardware" or "Mandriva" and see if anyone is having the same problem. Also, if Mandriva has their own forums, you could try there (I imagine they probably do I just don't know where).

I know how frustrating this sort of thing can be, so good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!