Where to start?

Started by
3 comments, last by Pjsmith 18 years, 3 months ago
I've had a few/quite a few ideas for a game (like most other people), but where exactly do you start? It's been bugging me for a while now, where to begin. I know that I should make a huge sheet of every idea I have and gather them into a sensible pile, but what next? Write up the story? Draw up designs for characters, weapons, etc...? Plan the game image? Do the easy first or last? Can you help me?
Advertisement
Hmm, that depends alot on your motivation for doing it. If you just want to fool around and entertain yourself, by all means jump in anywhere you like. Thats kinda what I did. However there is drawback to this method. I've never finished anything. Partly because the finish line is never marked so I just keep adding, or refining, and whatnot.

Now if you ever want to finish something, then I'm the wrong person to ask. But then I'm not doing it because I want to finish.
Well, I want to have a finish point, but not a final finish point if you know what I mean (like a semi-trasparant one if you can visualise it), meaning, I want something to aim for, like getting a lot of the details done, so I may think about looking for a team to help me create it, but still doing designs and refining after that. (Hope that explained what I wanted :S)
You could start by creating a design document. There's some examples here.

Also, read as much as you can. Maybe start here.
Awesome.
That's really helped me, since i've downloaded the Chris Taylor design document. Now I do something a bit like that, maybe in the same format, and when I want to expand on it, I'll expand on each section from the start of that list (e.g. first the Feature Set, then The Game World).

Thanks ever so much Will.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement