100 Lives [Work in Progress]

Started by
15 comments, last by nes8bit 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm currently working on this song. We started off with beeps and such to get the song going. Eventually we added our own style to it and came up with this. 100 Lives (current) 100 Lives (old) Again, this isn't complete. It'll probably change after this release. Its still not mastered either. Btw, I'm still looking for pure nintendo generators. ;) [Edited by - nes8bit on January 3, 2006 12:07:10 AM]
Advertisement
1 hour later and 25 people hated this song :(
I love it, would make nice bg music in a game ;)

P.S. Can I have your permission to put it on my ipod :-p
Everyone knows more people listen than ever get around to replying :).

Anyway, I liked it, too. A couple things I thought could have been better:

The intro didn't really grab me as much as it could. The first 3-4 seconds should be more interesting in some way (although, if it's for a game, having an intro that sneaks up on you might be just what you're looking for).

Your main looping bit has a chord that is screaming for resolution (first heard at 0:45). If you're deliberately toying with the listeners expectations of resolution, you should be more explicit about it (I want the voice to go down a step; maybe make something more explicit happen, rather than just going back to the beginning of the cycle). Or, when resolution finally comes (around 2:15, I think), make it more of a high point of the piece.

I think some kind of distortion on the vocal parts might help to make them blend better with the rest of the song, which is electronic/synth.

You're underselling the guitar part at 1:40 a little. Having it double the deep works, but I think it would be better if it went off on a solo part after doing some doubling.

Also, I assume it's mean to loop; if so, the overall form is great. If it's meant to end, then the ending should do something else.

As always, these are just personal opinions and the piece as a whole definitely works. You could call it quits now without having anything sound 'off' after a casual listen.
Music and sound for interactive media: http://www.jervinmusic.com
Quote:Original post by Fallen God
I love it, would make nice bg music in a game ;)

P.S. Can I have your permission to put it on my ipod :-p

Lol sure. You'd probably prefer the final version though.

Quote:Original post by Jervin
Everyone knows more people listen than ever get around to replying :).

Anyway, I liked it, too. A couple things I thought could have been better:

The intro didn't really grab me as much as it could. The first 3-4 seconds should be more interesting in some way (although, if it's for a game, having an intro that sneaks up on you might be just what you're looking for).

Your main looping bit has a chord that is screaming for resolution (first heard at 0:45). If you're deliberately toying with the listeners expectations of resolution, you should be more explicit about it (I want the voice to go down a step; maybe make something more explicit happen, rather than just going back to the beginning of the cycle). Or, when resolution finally comes (around 2:15, I think), make it more of a high point of the piece.

I think some kind of distortion on the vocal parts might help to make them blend better with the rest of the song, which is electronic/synth.

You're underselling the guitar part at 1:40 a little. Having it double the deep works, but I think it would be better if it went off on a solo part after doing some doubling.

Also, I assume it's mean to loop; if so, the overall form is great. If it's meant to end, then the ending should do something else.

As always, these are just personal opinions and the piece as a whole definitely works. You could call it quits now without having anything sound 'off' after a casual listen.

Here we go! Now some stuff I can use. I'll try to apply these to the final cut. Thanks.
I like it! I would strongly recommend adding some reverb or an echo effect to the opening wave sample, or whatever sample it is playing solo in the opening. A bit of tinkering with some effects could give this piece a really cool sound. Criticism: The depth of the sound is minimal and could be brought about a bit more.

PRO'S:I love the old nintendo style!

Cool

Ryan
i can definatly imagine a futuristic rpg with the characters crawling in a dark mestirious lab or dungeon. good job
Quote:Original post by Rain 7
I like it! I would strongly recommend adding some reverb or an echo effect to the opening wave sample, or whatever sample it is playing solo in the opening. A bit of tinkering with some effects could give this piece a really cool sound.

Alright I tried this. I hope you like the new version.

Quote:Original post by Rain 7
Criticism: The depth of the sound is minimal and could be brought about a bit more.

PRO'S:I love the old nintendo style!

Thanks. I definitely want the sound to hit all ranges even though the style is almost gamecore. I tried some stuff to adjust that. Also, I adjusted the levels and added seperate compressors to some of the melody and the drums.

What would you recommend to create a better intro? I was thinking of cutting the first 3 seconds off, but to me it sounds a little off like that. Do you think I should create a whole new intro before it goes into the beeping?

I listened to the song like 20 times to try and figure out how to fix this problem. I barely notice it, but if its that obvious to someone else then I know better than to just leave it alone. Still though, I hvaen't been able to fix this.

Once I figure out how to patch the reason channel directly to a fruity loops channel, then I'll definitely add some filtering. The voices, and some of the strings are done in reason while everything else is done in fruity loops. Good suggestion though.

What I might do is have my guitar buddy write a solo if thats the case. How far do you think he should take it?

Its definitely meant to begin and end. So with that said, I guess I need to do an intro and an ending. ;)
Here is version #2. I adjusted the levels, added two compressors and added reverb to the main "instrument".

Download
Nice!

I love it!

One thing I might mention to you...The mix is a little hot. Meaning that the overall mix is a little loud. I would work on subtlety a little bit more for the next piece. Make the listener work a little bit instead of trying to REACH them so forcefully.

I like it a lot.

Cool man.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement