• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Online resources to learn Computer Science?

This topic is 4439 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Are there any good resources where one can learn Computer Science concepts - beyond simple programming; for example, sites that explain (in depth) how to use Big-O notation, what it means, analysis; perhaps sites explaining concepts such as linear boolean algebra (well, this is more in the domain of math), etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Ciph

Advertisement
I haven't done much searching, but this website seems to have quite a bit of information.

By the way, the specific topics you've mentioned fall more specifically under algorithmic analysis (except boolean algebra), so searching for this might yield more relevant/desirable results.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
offtopic: that's crazy that MIT would effectively let you take their courses for free. did i miss something?

You didn't miss anything, why wouldn't MIT do that? You'd be surprised to see how many other colleges actually get their coursework from MIT, and how many foreigners have access to it. Remember, above all, MIT is a school, their mission is to teach people, and they honor that the most.

Back on topic: Big-O Notation is in any good calculus book, and there are a lot of good boolean logic primers on the web. Just Google a bit, you'll find what you need.

Quote:
offtopic: that's crazy that MIT would effectively let you take their courses for free. did i miss something?
Also, MIT isn't a pushover and the lectures often matter a lot. Still, their open notes thing is awesome.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Also, MIT isn't a pushover and the lectures often matter a lot. Still, their open notes thing is awesome.

I believe you can find their lectures online too. I know Stanford has gone so far as to release all of the lectures through iTunes, so in any country iTMS works you can download the audio copy of any lecture you want to learn something about.

The whole point is that there are a LOT of people out there who could use education, and it's simply too expensive. If you can learn it in your community college using the MIT coursework, then MIT is doing its job. Of course, for the real thing you'll come to them, and that's how they will eventually get their money back. Also makes sure what they're teaching is up to date and accurate, as any errors are more likely to be caught this way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement