• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mikeman

Boost build?

This topic is 4679 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm very new with Boost and templates in general, so bare with me. The way I use it know, is just include the files I need. For example: #include <boost/variant.hpp> It works fine, but it takes to long to compile, because that header contains source code. I thought that by building Boost with bjam I could avoid that. I did everything needed, then built it using bjam and the vc8_0 jam files. The thing is, it built only some libraries, like datetime and thread, but not others that I use, like smart pointers and variants. I'm sure I'm missing something, either I did something wrong or those libraries can't be pre-built and I need to include the .hpp files and compile them every time? Or the templates in general can only be used when the interface and the implementation are in the same header file? In that case, how can I minimize the time the compile process takes?

Advertisement
Thanks, I suspected that(see my edited post). I'm pretty new with templates too. So there aren't any tips that I can use so I can minimize compile time? Or I just include the .hpp files in the source files I need and live with what I get?

Since it looks like you're using MSVC 8 you can try using precompiled header files. Otherwise you'll just need to practice the usual techniques to reduce dependencies in your builds.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!