"odbc32.lib" and "winmm.lib" Linker errors?

Started by
7 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm moving from Visual C++ 6 to VS05 and I'm getting these linker errors. I removed "odbc32.lib" in the settings and that got rid of the linker error but now it wants "winmm.lib". What is VS05 complaining about? [Edited by - avocados on December 31, 2005 9:50:58 PM]
Advertisement
Try this: open up your project, right click your project name and select properties, then click on Linker, then Input, and finally add, winmm.lib where it says Additional Dependencies. Click ok and that should hopefully do it.

xeddiex.
one..
Thanks for responding, I still get the same error as before:
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'winmm.lib'

And I searched my drive, I don't have this file. I was wondering why it was needed. This is a new install of Visual C++ 2005 Express and I'm trying to compile a pretty simple GLUT app that compiles fine in Visual C++ 6.
hmm, I found it in my system32 folder but with the extension dll. change it from lib to dll and see what happens.

xeddiex.
one..
Quote:Original post by xeddiex change it from lib to dll and see what happens.

Argh no!! :-)

.lib's are library files that basically store all the info needed to 'use' a dll. The .dll is the actual code. .lib can also be 'static' and have just code in it too. So they are very different things.

I'm guessing you are using winmm for timeGetTime()? if this is all you can probably replace this with an equivalent. If you are using managed C++, you can use System::Environment::TickCount in the .net class lib (I'd guess you are since you are posting in the .net forum...)

that said if you want winmm.lib, I've put it up on my website, here.

Thanks for the file! I don't know if VC 2005 needs this for GLUT or openGL but I can compile now. Should I have posted in general programming? I thought VC 2005 was in the .net "family".
Hi,

Did you even follow the installation instructions for vc++ 2005 express? Because it does state that in order to develop win32 applications you need the microsoft platform sdk.

Download and install the sdk using the instructions on the microsoft webpage (step 4).

For winmm.lib you will need to change your project settings as normal, but at least you will have the lib as part of the platform sdk.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote:Original post by avocados
Should I have posted in general programming? I thought VC 2005 was in the .net "family".

It's a .NET application, but this forum is about developing .NET applications, rather than using them. I'll move it for you.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I found here usefull information
I thank you !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement