• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernMunk

Winsock Wrapper

This topic is 4728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I was asking some questions in another sub-forum, but seeing as it was in relation to networking as well as general programming, I thought I'd post it here. Does this wrapper for Winsock look like it would work well. I'm trying to simplify the whole process, so that developing networked apps (games, in particular) will be easier. So far, I have three classes (I'm not sure whether to make four or not): - WinsockConnection: A base class for network communication. - WinsockClient: Connects to a server for communication. - WinsockServer: Accepts client connections and communicates with it. You can view the source code here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/smains/source/WinsockConnection.zip Any comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisement
I would suggest using Raknet, check it out, much better than using winsock if you ask me!

Sorry I didnt get to look at your wrapper yet but I will. Look at Raknet for ideas (or just use it lol) Good luck

Raknet looks like it has a lot of features (a ton more than my wrapper class, anyway). Pity you have to pay for more than the demo version though. :(

All I really want is a simple way to communicate between computers. I've already built a (simple) Diffie-Hellman key exchange encryption class and another custom encryption class, which I'm going to include (with the Winsock wrapper, of course) in the networking engine of my game.

If you could suggest some improvements to my wrapper class, big or small, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks again. I'll probably download Raknet and try it out in any case.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!