• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sjf

OpenGL Cloud rendering idea

This topic is 4583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would appreciate feedback in the form of pro / con for the following idea. Most games today use a simple skybox or skydome to represent the sky. In some skydomes the clouds are animated while others are not. In regards to the animation, some interpolate over perlin noise and some just transform textures. As most game play is on the ground this is fine, but what about if the game play is in the sky, such as flight simulator. MS FS (Wang) uses pre-modelled clouds with particles and the impostor method. My idea is to use perlin noise to place the particles (billboarded of course) which will represent the clouds, and then animate these just as real clouds move / evolve. In an effort to have "in cloud" experiences. And use the impostor method too. Feed back??? Apart from hardware point sprites what other cutting edge technology can I make use of using openGL??? How useful will this effect be?

Advertisement
youre thinking of creating a clouds out of 10,000s of particles?
gonna be slow and most likely wont look good
there are quite a few papers of doing clouds at this site (perhaps also see vterrain.org)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!