• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
luasitdown

render module in game engine

This topic is 4585 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think render pipe in d3d(video card) supply enough functions for creating a 2d image from 3d data. But someone said render module is most complex part in engine. So what does render module supply ??? I found orge render module mainly consist of object sorting function. it seem much simple than other module in engine.

Advertisement
So someone said that the 'render module' (how is this defined?) is the most 'complex' (to write? to design? to use?) part of an 'engine' (any engine? or a graphical engine? or an engine for a specific game?). This is too vague a statement to be either true or false.

Some 'rendering modules' are simply API-independent wrappers that are simple to design and write but hard to use, others provide optimized solutions for several problems (terrain rendering, culling, shaders, level and mesh formats, illumination) which are difficult to implement and design and moderately difficult to use, and others again change the imperative paradigm of low-level APIs into a high-level declarative paradigm, resulting in a complex implementation and a simple usage.

A render module is the most important part of an engine in my view since it's what will be used to represent whatever is in your engine to the viewer/screen. What you will need to do is create a renderer that will be easy to use and really do most of the work for you such as batching and then rendering your objects/components to the screen.

A rendering module is really a broad topic and I could probably carry on for ages but if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!