• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Erik Sintorn

Emacs style indentation in visual C++ .net?

This topic is 4674 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Hope I found the right forum for this question. I'm starting a new project soon and will have to do it in Windows and Visual C++ instead of Linux as I'm used to. However I really love the Emacs C++-mode and am wondering if there's some way to get that functionality in VC++. What I want is the automatic indentation stuff where I can always just press tab and have the text indented to where it should be. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you, Erik Sintorn - d00sint@dtek.chalmers.se

Advertisement
I also love how Emacs can do that. In Visual Studio, the process is more indirect. Instead of pressing tab on the same line, you go to the end of the previous line and press Return. It should automatically give you the correct indentation on the next line. Sometimes VS will mess with the indentation of the line you pressed Return on, that that only happens if you have some weird nested block situation.

The tab key won't indent to where you want like in emacs (where it will also move code backwards to put it in the right spot). So, it may please you to know that you still have access to emacs on Windows and you can run the VS compiler from emacs.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Get emacs for Win32, or cygwin, or use a text edtior with an Emacs emulation mode. I'd be suprised if you were being forced to use the Visual Studio text editor.

However, if you pair Visual Studio up with Visual Assist, you'll never go back to Emacs... ever (btw, I've used Emacs since the early 90s). In fact I now do all my Linux development with Visual Studio using samba to mount my Linux home to my XP system.

Of course I still use Emacs when I'm logged into a Linux system, but it's painful for me to use it for actual development now. I'm not saying that Emacs isn't a great text edtior, but you can't beat Visual Studio's editor with Visual Assist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!