• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
enigmaticdesigns

Game Models , programmers please help me

This topic is 4701 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello programmers. I have been trying to find the answer of this question for years, thats right. My question is very simple and I shall be glad if someone helps me. How can I open the Model files with unknown extensions? Actually my game uses the model files with .fml extension which is not supported by any software. I tried every software but still can't open these files. So please let me know what can I do . A little help will really be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
If I follow what you're asking then normally you write input/output filters for the software. Most 3D graphics packages come with a macro language and library for access from C++. If you look around the documentation for the package you may find doc on how to specifically create an import/export filter so that it shows up in the file type list when you import/export a file.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Years? Yes it looks that way:

http://filext.com/info/archive/index.php/t-159.html

What game is this too? And why are you trying to hack into proprietary data?

Oh, well, my assumption was it was your own file format. You can always try writing to the game company, explain what you're trying to do and request documentation on the file format.

oh , ur search is very nice... So it proves that I've been trying for years. Actually I asked the company but to no avail, thats why I am asking here. It is called Game Moddding & let me explain it is legal. ok . If you search, there are lot of sites about Games model editing like Half Life , Quake II, & lot of other games etc.

Well, All I need is a software that reads all kinds of Model file formats ( I tried deep exploration). ....

If it's a custom format, invented by the game's designers and they aren't willing to tell you how it works, I'm afraid you've got a big problem. Please tell us which game you are trying to mod. Maybe we can help you a bit better then.

yeah , i shall be glad... its wwf raw pc

first of all see these pages fot confirmation that model editing is legal.
http://search.filefront.com/30;V3Jlc3RsaW5nIE1vZGVscw
www.3dbuzz.com ( see Game Model Editing).

Then I am uploading a sample @siete

[Edited by - enigmaticdesigns on January 7, 2006 10:26:39 AM]

if its binary you will need some type of hex editor but think you should look at some other file format. mdl is great in most cases.

Without being able to get access to the details of the file format, your going to have to reverse engineer the file using a hex editor. That will be difficult however unless you have a way of creating simple objects for reference.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!