Todays graphics requirments

Started by
14 comments, last by Cygnus_X 18 years, 3 months ago
Just wear a tinfoil hat under it, and you'll be fine.

If we ever manage to get the neural interface, we'll need a whole new graphics technology. We'll have to deal in geons instead of polygons. I don't think it would work as well as Far Cry.
Advertisement
Well i saw this system workin with a game were the man controlled the character with his head it was cool.
"If we ever manage to get the neural interface, we'll need a whole new graphics technology. We'll have to deal in geons instead of polygons. I don't think it would work as well as Far Cry."

If it's just control the computer with your mind, I don't think we'd need new graphics, just a new control input system which would totally change gaming forever I think. It may not be that far off, but I didn't think there was anything like that yet.
Crucible of Stars FPS is recruiting
Quote:Original post by umbrae
At the moment screenshots and graphics reviews sell games.

That's it in a nutshell.
Quote:Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Just wear a tinfoil hat under it, and you'll be fine.

Please read this!

To the original poster, I completely agree on your comments (except that Secret of Mana is potentially the all-time best game; being a longtime Ultima fan, I could argue for weeks on this one).

Nowadays, eye-candy in games holds the #1 market-share position. Things that look pretty, are flashy, and do things that their competitors can't/don't do, sell. Since we're pretty much limited to 3 senses when it comes to gaming (visual, aural, and tactile), the game console which stands out against its competitors will have great sound (e.g. SurroundSound), graphics (e.g. high polygon counts, pixel/vertex shading, visual realism), and 'touch' (e.g. Nintendo rumble-pak) capabilities. On top of this, games have to be outstanding as well!

Therein lies the problem. "Good gameplay" can't be shown on magazine pages or screenshots. Neither can "intriguing story", "emotion-gripping dialog", or "though-provoking philosophy". The games that we knew and loved in days past, had little graphics capabilities, tinny synth sound, and gods forfend if the controller/keyboard didn't do anything but sit there! Game developers had to come up with decent means of gripping the target audience, hence why those games seem more in-depth than new games today.

Lately I've been playing through Fable. While it's fun and all, and while it claims to offer depth of play, it really sometimes feels like "RPG on Rails".

Personally I miss pixel art. I suspect there might be a retro uprising in the near future, where some great games will gain some public eye, comparable to late-90's graphical feel, but tell wonderful stories and make us think. Or maybe I'm pipe-dreaming.
I like Ultima as well. And I agree with your comment about Fable... As promising as it looked, it really really disappointed me.

At any rate, I see no reason why a well done 2D game couldn't be marketable on todays modern consoles. I just got into playing maple story this week, and while I find it quite repetative, its pretty damn cool... especially for being 2D and free. I just wish the gaming industry would wake and realize what they're missing out on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement