• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RAZORUNREAL

Disabling after trial

This topic is 4592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a game in c++, and I got to thinking: how would I get it to disable itself after a 14 day trial? I guess I'd need to store the time and date it was installed in a file somewhere obscure, and check it against the current date. But wouldn't that be pretty easy to find? Do I need to encrypt it? While I'm about it, how would I link to a site from my game? Thanks

Advertisement
Well, trial systems in general are very easy to crack. Some try to encrypt a string containing the time it starts at, some will store the time hidden away in the registry somewhere or some filename in the windows directory somewhere.

If someone is determined to extend their time, they will do it, no doubt, if they know what they're doing. If you're doing a simple project, you can just try one of the simpler methods, storing the date somewhere and checking against the current date. If you're planning to make some buck off of your program, you might want to search the web for trial management libraries.

Edit: As for linking to your site, do you mean you want to direct a browser to your website? It's pretty easy:
ShellExecute(0, "open", "http://www.google.com", 0, 0, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Replacing google with your site name, of course. This is the best method for Windows, if you're using Windows, of course. It will use the default Browser, be it Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.

Quote:
Original post by RAZORUNREAL
I'm working on a game in c++, and I got to thinking: how would I get it to disable itself after a 14 day trial?
Thanks

You've probably already known that there's no perfect protection, haven't you ?.
I'll think about how to make my game superb instead of protecting it from unstoppable crackers. When it comes to a real commercial game, I'll buy a decent solution from a company (just to make sure it won't be cracked early enough[smile]). To protect something in a locker, you've got to have a key. When you have made a key, someone out there will be able to make a fake key also. It is a matter of time.

You may also put a BIG sentence in front of the user:
I HAVE SPENT A PART OF MY LIFE AND MANY EFFORT INTO THIS GAME. PLEEEASE BUY IT IF YOU REALLY WANT TO ENJOY MY WONDERFUL FUTURE GAMES. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!.

Quote:
Original post by RAZORUNREAL
While I'm about it, how would I link to a site from my game?

You may open a browser from your game and supply the link in the command line. But browsers handle it differently, you probably have to determine the kind of browser and the OS itself.

Yea, I realise nothing is perfect. I'd just like it to be easier to spend a few bucks on the game than to work out how to extend the trial. Not that it's my problem as such. *cough*

Thanks Flimflam, that's just what I wanted.

I think it'd be better to make a shortened game with a few levels that way, they can't do more than you want them to, because then they'd be missing game content. But thats my opinion.

Generally with generated levels they get progressively harder. It shouldn't be hard to modify it to not bring in any higher level features. So they can play it forever, but it's always a starter level.

Guest Anonymous Poster
One option you could try is some how only give them the compiled code that creates level 1-3 and they have to register/pay to download more levels. This could be done in a demo.dll and full release.dll or something similar. Because whatever you give the end user, it is crackable. So the only way to have them buy the product is to give them something in return to obtain new levels instead of giving them a code to use to unlock the full release.

I just thought of something that might work (I just came up with it so I could be way off). Store the date in two places, 1) The registry and 2) a hidden file. Use two different encryption methods, one for each of the places they are stored. Then read them both in, make sure the unencrypted dates match (incase one of them was modified), and then check to see how much time is left in the trial. Just a thought, although I'd be interested to see if it works to keep casual users from extending the trial period.

Whatever system you decide on, be sure to apply lots of other systems as well, for redundancy. The chance that a potential cracker will have the free time to change encrypted files, registry entries, tagged data files, hidden files in the system directory and other things is very unlikely.

Considering that the decent crackers are probably off working on bigger-name games, you should attempt to frustrate the casual pirate (perhaps armed with a newbie guide to SoftICE) for as long as possible.

It may be a good idea to find a copy of No Starch Press' Crackproof Your Software, if you're really serious.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!