• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Framebuffer Distortion and PBuffers

This topic is 4438 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! Been working on my new engine, and I'm trying to implement framebuffer distortion type effects like heat haze, refraction, and that sort of thing. The main thing I'm unsure of is where exactly it fits into the pipeline. I've looked around a lot, and can't seem to find an answer. The way I'm going about it now is to render the entire scene (without geometry that has any framebuffer distortion) on pbufferA and then doing another pass in which all geometry with those effects are rendered and the pbufferA texture is passed to all such shaders--all this is rendered to pbufferB. Finally, pbufferB is drawn to the screen with a quad. Is this a good way? If not, what should I be doing? I'm really stuck on this, so any help would be very much appreciated!! ~fixxorion

Advertisement
That sounds right to me. Its kind of the same way you go about doing deferred shading.

Thanks for the response! Glad I'm on the right track. :)

I do have another follow-up question to that. After the first pass, you have to copy the depth buffer over to the other one right? In OpenGL, what's the best way to do this?

Thanks again!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement