• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Collision avoidance

This topic is 4435 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make a 2d game where I have cars moving around between different way points. My problem is that I don't know how to make them avoid colliding with each other. If there is a car in front it should stop before they collide. Each car has 8 different frames and directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW). I have a function to get the cars position and a function to stop the cars. Can anyone help me or give me a useful link? Thanks, nils.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by nils987
I'm trying to make a 2d game where I have cars moving around between different way points. My problem is that I don't know how to make them avoid colliding with each other. If there is a car in front it should stop before they collide.

Each car has 8 different frames and directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW). I have a function to get the cars position and a function to stop the cars.

foreach (car1)
foreach (car2 != car1)
if InFrontOf(position(car2),position(car1),direction(car1)) the stop(car1)

InFrontOf(a,b,c) should determine if a occurs before b on the axis determines by c. This can be done by creating two orthogonal vectors based on the direction: one which has the direction, and one which is orthogonal to it. Express the coordinates of (a-b) on in this basis and checking that the colinear component is positive and smaller than a certain value, and that the orthogonal component is within a small zero-centered interval.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement