• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
gorgon

Chess Programming

This topic is 4612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all and Happy New Year! I have been trying to write a chess engine for sometime now! I have read almost all the articles online, however I am strugling this are few questions i would appreciate if you give me some help ok first of all I am using 12 bitboard to represnt each type of piece, I also have bitboard for empty space and whites. I am writting this chess engine in Java. Now my question is I have 12 bitboards, in order to generate move for a pawn do I have to create new bitboard just for this pawn? or how does it work! i cant get hold of move generation and where to store generate moves. i decided that i would generate all the moves when program loads. well i hope i did explain my problem well... any help would be good THANK YOU!! p.s. happy new year!

Advertisement
You can use bitboards for many different things. For move generation, you might have 768 bitboards (64 for each piece) -- it depends on how you want to do it.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!