Confirmation

Started by
8 comments, last by Adnw 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm just looking for some confirmation that this game could be developed in C++. I believe so, although I have not yet seen one. It is basically a chat room, login, register, you know what I mean. However it is tile based (isometric). The users (players) of the "game" are displayed by avatars. I already have a full set of graphics (completely ready to go). I just wanted to make sure this type of game could be developed in c++? Adnw.
Advertisement
You question is rather vague, but I don't see any reason why not.
Yes, sorry about that, my mistake, I will try to provide more details.

Okay basically, once logged in there are areas a user could visit, once there they can see others, move around and in general interact with others in that area.

This areas can hold up to 20-30 people at a time (which is pre-determined by the size of the room).

To put it simply I would need to develop a;

login - register - chat - pathfinder and some other smaller things, such as bots etc.

Would this porject be possible in C++?

Thanks for your speedy reply.
C++ as language is suitable for such an application's logic, as are most of other languages, too. So the question is more related to whether you could access all needed resources by C++. Possible special ressources may be a database (to permanently store visitor data), a special kind of network protocol, or a special kind of client software your app should run inside. However, even if you plan to use such stuff, they most often provide a C API, and hence are useable from C++, too. So, with a probability near to 1, C++ should be able to do the job.
Do you believe C++ would be the way to go? Or would perhaps Java be a better solution? Or perhaps even another language?
These days, C++ is rarely the way to go, at least for the bulk of application logic; there's much more modern languages available. For something like this, I would probably use Python and PyGame. Java would also work fine. Your proposed application does not really seem to stress any difficult programming language areas, though, and wouldn't require especially tight performance, so pretty much anything would be fine.
Thanks alot for your replies guys, they've helped me greatly.
Sounds like Habbo Hotel
Since this could be made by pretty much any modern/mature language out there, choose wichever you feel the most comfortable with learning(if you don't already know how to do this, I assume you don't or else you'd obviously know that it can be done)/using. Python is a good, simple choice, though.
Quote:Original post by Kwizatz
Sounds like Habbo Hotel

Nope, it won't be anything like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement