[MDX] Screen blinking problems

Started by
11 comments, last by njpaul 18 years, 3 months ago
So I started creating a reusable framework for my projects using Managed DirectX and C++. I tried rendering a simple triangle and a couple seconds into the program the screen blanks out for a second then pops back in for a second or two and repeats this process. I thought maybe it was a problem with the debug runtimes, so I changed to the release and I got the same problem. I stripped out my code for rendering the triangle to see if I get the same problem when I'm just clearing the backbuffer. It took a while, 5 seconds or so, but the problem came up again. Has anyone ever heard of this problem?
Advertisement
Well my wildest guess would be an issue with the backbuffer?
Upon further inspection, It appears only to happen in windowed mode, although I couldn't test it out fully before my system quit on me and now the program won't run at all. Probably need a restart. I remember seeing the warning about the lockloader exception when debugging so I'll look into that over the next day or two. Unfortunately, I won't be able to try anything out until Wednesday.
Usually flickering is associated with the clearing of the backbuffer. When you aren't clearing your backbuffer you will get some sort of flickering.

I hope this helps.
Take care.
Yes when you render, do you put in a call to yourdevice.Clear()?
Yeah, its not the window running my app that is flickering, its the whole screen going black.
- Does it happen with the SDK samples?
- Do you get any debug output? (Enable unmanaged debugging and switch to the debug runtime).

It doesn't happen when I execute the managed samples in the SDK and I get no errors from directx while debugging, but I do get the loader lock exception.
Ok, there's a new development. I had my friend run the application on his machine and it runs fine. I updated my video card drivers and it still happens. My video card has been going for a while now, so maybe I need to break down and get a new one.
If it's in windowed mode, but the whole screen is going black, it sounds like it is trying to change display settings. You don't happen to be calling Reset() a lot or something odd like that do you?
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement