• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
WillPash

OpenGL Which has more potential, Cairo or OpenVG

This topic is 4614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

....Which has more potential as a 2D vector API, Cairo or OpenVG. I have been copnsidering using either OpenVG or Cairo for my project as it would be useful for basic 2D stuff such as HUD, GUI, etc. At the moment im developing with SDL/OpenGL, and Windows and i know both OpenVG & Cairo libraries are multiplatform. Now im wondering which one is best to use for future use? Cairo looks a more higher level programming API, but OpenVG is much more lower. Does anyone know anything about either technologies and if they do can you fill all of us in as I do believe when they are more commonly used, they will be standard for 2D rendering. Regards And have a Wonderful New Year to you all...

Advertisement
Considering Cairo actually has an implementation that you can use in your own programs, I'd say that you'd have more luck using that than OpenVG at the moment.

I know that is not the answere of your question...
I plan to use anti grain geometry for my projects.
http://www.antigrain.com/

Anti Grain is not allways easy to use but it produces only high quality images.

Well you are right SiCrane, there seems to be more potential in OpenVG, but it hasnt been fully implemented for public use. Cairo looks good, and easy to parse such things as SVG, etc.

Got to agree Kambiz, AntiGrain is powerful, i can also see thanks to your weblink, i also agree that it looks complicated, but rewarding in its quality...

Regards

I'd say it comes down to tools and training, rather than any arbitrary 'powerfullness' of the actual API. Something like flash, that has a significant installed user-base, and mature tools, will probably be a better idea than some clean, but relatively unsupported new API.

Also keep in mind, there's tons of artists out there that know Flash; how many know Cairo? What's the tools pipeline support like?

You might want to look at something like GameSWF, which was used in Stranger's Wrath..
http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gameswf.html
http://www.tulrich.com/geekstuff/gameswf_stranger_postmortem.html

Allan

Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
Also keep in mind, there's tons of artists out there that know Flash; how many know Cairo? What's the tools pipeline support like?

I think you don't quite get what these APIs are for. These are low level rendering APIs, not content creation level APIs. For example, they are all suitable for rendering SVG files. The artist creates the SVG file in his tool of choice, and doesn't care what API is used to render them in the final application. The programmer than uses some API to render the graphics.

Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
The artist creates the SVG file in his tool of choice, and doesn't care what API is used to render them in the final application. The programmer than uses some API to render the graphics.

Well.. a better question might be; what tools would you use to create the content for this? Illustrator? Is there file-interchange formats available, or would the user need to rewrite all this from scratch?

Because I've messed around with a wide set of 2D systems for UIs and similar, I consider the 'render to screen' part to be the easy half of the equation (perhaps unwisely)... Personally I'm more worried about content creation when it comes to 2D, and so my choice would always be something that has a good pipeline, rather than something that has fancy rendering features.

However, I agree with your point; the original question was focused solely on the 2D rendering API itself.

Allan

Quote:
Original post by __ODIN__
Well.. a better question might be; what tools would you use to create the content for this? Illustrator? Is there file-interchange formats available, or would the user need to rewrite all this from scratch?

If you're asking about SVG specifically, off the top of my head you can use Illustrator, Inkscape or Sodipodi. Otherwise, I really have no idea where your tool focus came from in the context of this thread. These are rendering APIs that have functions at the same level as SVG, PS or PDF display information. For example, Cairo has been used in Mono as a rendering mechanism for their managed forms implementation and by Mozilla for SVG rendering.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!