Natural Language Expert System - Idea

Started by
32 comments, last by Iftah 18 years, 3 months ago
What do you guys think of the following idea (Possible? Impossible? Soemthing that needs to be fixed?)?
Constructing a Natural Language Expert System

End result
	Answers natural language questions in context using knowledge in the knowledge base
	Associative memory knowledge base of real world objects and concepts
	Automatic creation of lexicons for and learning of language structure, grammar, and syntax
	Ability to formulate grammatically correct sentences

Components
	Language learning
		Pattern recognition
		Determine the ordering of parts of speech
		Determine the syntax for phrases
		Determine part of speech and meaning from word suffixes
		Learning never ends and always continues to evolve
		Language dictionary
			Includes all words and their possible meanings and parts of speech
	Associative memory model
		ART or similar neural network for storage of associations
		Representation, storage, and retrieval of knowledge
		Allows for contextual representation of knowledge and semantics
	Short-term memory model
		Associative memory model only provides a method for storage and retrieval of knowledge
		Allows knowledge to be picked apart and key components to be extracted, then fed as inputs to the associative memory model
	Natural language processing
		Handles input and generates output using
			Knowledge from the associative memory model
			Learned language structure, grammar, and syntax
		Parsing
Shortcomings of current systems
	Unable to understand context
	Unable to determine semantic meaning of words
	Lexicons must be hard-coded
Possible uses
	Devices that can perform actions based on natural language input
	An application that answers questions encompassing all human knowledge
	An application that reads a text and answers questions based on that text
	Language translation (would require more subsystems)
Advertisement
People have been working on this for decades. What exactly are you looking for in terms of answers?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
The problem of natrual language is much much harder than it seems at first.
Many very smart men attempted to solve it ever since computers were interactive and still attempt it these days. It will have huge market and will impact our society very much when its finally here, but I dont recomend attempting to solve it alone.

Natrual languages have so many duplicate meanings that even with great database of knowledge its very hard for computers to understand. Simple things such as refering to "it" can confuse humans (for a second) and confuse computers into ridiculus conclusions.

"Danny threw the coffee mug at the wall and it broke into pieces"
- what broke? the mug or the wall?
Note in a glass house the wall is also an option.

Iftah.
I know, but here I'm bringing all the pieces together. What I'm asking you guys is whether you see any missing pieces or anything that needs to be changed.
wellll, your "pieces" are very big projects and I dont know what you plan on doing with them. I havent given the problem of natrual language recognition any thought because its such a difficult problem, so I dont know how to even start at it.

Its like asking if the following is a good design for a spacecraft program.

spacecraft program:
1) take off
2) orbit
3) land on the moon
4) explore the moon
5) take off moon
6) land back on earth

yes its a start of a good design, but each part may be *very* hard to implement and its hard to know now (without deep thought) if there are missing parts.

Iftah.
...and a simple design with a lot of ambition is all it takes to acheive something great. One thing at a time - piece by piece. It's possible, and it will be done.

Thanks!
Go for it. Post back here when you're done. [smile]
Quote:Original post by chadjohnson
...and a simple design with a lot of ambition is all it takes to acheive something great. One thing at a time - piece by piece. It's possible, and it will be done.

Thanks!

I appreciate your optimism.
Please make a blog or developer journal on your progress or at least let us know what you got so far a year from now [smile]

Cheers and best of luck!
Pat.
Haha. But seriously, we've merely scratched the surface with technology. There are so many things that are possible which are yet to be discovered and exploited. Some day, if we're still here, I think we won't be able to tell the difference between humans and computers. They'll be different (i.e., they won't have souls as we do), but we won't be able to tell.
Quote:Original post by chadjohnson

Thanks!

I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but as the sole author of a fairly complicated system, I can attest firsthand to the difficulty of the topic you're tackling here. Each of the lines in your original post covers enough investigation and mathematical hand-waviness to fill a dozen research papers.

Metalyzer, a heuristic analysis system of my own devising, was originally going to use natural language recognition to answer questions about its ever-expanding knowledge base. I quickly realized my error, because a pure-NL program is a substantial task. Instead, I realized that with more clever contextual methods, I could approximate NL for a fraction of the computational complexity and cost. It's these alternate methods you should focus on, not NL.

Of course, if you think you have something revolutionary, none of the above applies. Go for it. [smile]
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement