• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kaze

vsync and framerate

This topic is 4523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone know what the highest and lowest refresh rates a gl game would be likely to encounter are

Advertisement
actually i meant in terms what moniter refresh rates are, the min, and max for a typical system, mine says from 60-85, is this typical

quick note: just because your video-card/monitor combination redraws the screen 60 times per second doesn't mean your game needs to present a new image every redraw. though some people go nuts when they hear this, the fact is, many games look just fine when your game presents a newly drawn frame 15, 20 or 30 frames per second. in other words, your game can present a newly drawn frame every 2, 3 or 4 screen refreshes. what creates "flicker" and drives your eyes nuts is the number of times the screen is displayed per second (the 60 to 90 Hz number), but your brain does not much care whether the action on the screen changes every time. however, even though i have seen action games that look great at 15 frames per second, it is also true that other games look better with more game-redraws per second (beyond 30 per second rarely matters). let me say this a different way, that probably receives less gripes. a screen with twice the detail at 15 frames per second is much more pleasing to me than half the detail at 30 frames per second, and vastly more pleasing than one quarter the detail at 60 frames per second. i have done this comparison many times, and every time without fail that is how my eyes and brain responded. to go below 15 frames per second, however, gets into jerky territory pretty quickly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!