• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Jacob Roman

Calculating Normal Force

This topic is 4669 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to create a function that calculates the normal force of an object, and was wondering if my code is right or not?

Private Sub Physics_Normal_Force(m As Single, g As Single, Angle As Single, N As Point_2D)

N.X = m * g * Cos(Angle * PI / 180)
    N.Y = m * g * Sin(Angle * PI / 180)

End Sub

Advertisement
From what you posted it seems correct. But without any other context there's no way for us to tell for sure [smile]

Well I wasn't too sure if it was correct cause if the angle is 0, then N.Y = 0 and N.X was not 0, which didn't make any sense. If I reversed the cos and sin's around, then it sorta would make sense.

Fx = mg * sin ( angle )
Fy = mg * cos ( angle )
Rn= Fy
Ft = Cf * Rn = Cf * Fy = Cf * mg * cos ( angle )
Fx -Ft = m * a
a= ( Fx-Ft ) / m
s= 0.5 *a *t*t +v0 *t + s0
ds/dt = v = a* t+ v0
ds2/dt2 = dv/dt = a

Quote:
Original post by Jacob Roman
Well I wasn't too sure if it was correct cause if the angle is 0, then N.Y = 0 and N.X was not 0, which didn't make any sense. If I reversed the cos and sin's around, then it sorta would make sense.

In that case it depends what you consider 0°. If 0° is when the ground is facing up and N.X is to the right then your results would seem weird. However let's say you consider a flat ground 90°, or in other words use the direction of the normal as the orientation of the ground. Then the results would make more sense. Since sine and cosine are 90° out-of-phase, it explains why you would think of switching them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!