• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Abbadon

seeking publisher list

This topic is 4589 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a title I'm looking to get published, sub note this is big title for the unreal engine not a small shareware title, I'm looking for commercial publishers. I need a link/info/url to publishers are there any databases of potential publishers

Advertisement
There is a list of publishers on Gamasutra (I think you need to register to get access) Gamsutra publisher list. There are a lot of smaller publishers in there you will need to filter out but the big ones you want should all be there.

You might find some of the articles I have written on publisher submissions useful. Particularly the 6th, 7th and 8th articles on This page.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I have the gamasutra list
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/contractor_display.php?category=33

some seem small publishers, but the list is quite extensive

Also I have a list from here

http://www.gamersunderground.net/company/game/publisher/index.html

Yep ive read your articles before Dan, very informative read

I have quite a range of publisher contacts, but the main ones are hard to track down, they do not have contact e:mail addresses on site,I cannot get to these people on the list does anyone have them if so PM me or fill me in on how to contact these people below as I cannot get a hold of anybody

3drealms

Acclaim Entertainment

Activision

Atari

Electronic Arts

SQUARE ENIX

some companies own subsidiary publishers, do you contact the main company that owned them or the subseries ones as well , see below for example
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take-Two Interactive

Take Two continued to let Gathering run as a fairly autonomous label (much like their other label, Rockstar Games), publishing most of Take 2's non-budget PC games. Eventually Take 2 took over all operations of Gathering, and have since re branded the PC-centric label 2K Games.

so if im not wrong
Take-Two Interactive own these as well

2K Games
Gathering of Developers
GodGames
Rockstar Games
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft- do these fund games, or do they just deal with xbox,can these be contacted to publish and fund your game.

Midway

Namco

Taito Corporation

THQ

Ubisoft

Vivendi Universal Games

Best way to contact them is to pick up the phone and call - ask to speak to the person in charge of acquisitions. Sadly a lot of the bigger publishers are very hard to a contact for because they don't work with news start-ups and tend to spend their time chasing established developers. Unless you have made contacts while at a provious employer it can be pretty tough.

Sometimes it can be really really silly. A contact of mine left Activision suddenly. Next time I called up they wouldn't tell me who the new person was and wouldn't put me through unless I knew the name.

There was a discussion on a industry only forum about this issue. I suggested it would be better if publishers listed acquistions contacts and stated what exactly they expect to see in a submission - one acquistions person actually replied "I have better things to do than wade through developer submissions".

I had one publisher that didn't return my mails and what was funny is that their internal development studio had offered me an lead level design job on their last game, I had to turn it down due to full time dev on my own title. The guy who offered the job, told me to get in touch on my game when I was ready as they are an internal dev to a publisher, unfortunately he left the company so I had lost my contact.

Are there any agents that can get your game across to publishers perhaps thats a good way to do it.

quote- they don't work with news start-ups and tend to spend their time chasing established developers.

What about if you have a game thats 3 months to GM, thats not a start up, plus my company has some of the most experienced people in the industry with the unreal engine, but if you cannot contact the publisher then whats the point, I hear this thing about wading through submissions and I think well how many games are made, I know a lot of shareware games are made, I mean how many titles with a major engine, I hear pubs don't want inandating with submissions by this they must mean a written submission perhaps a demo, but not a game thats vitually done, that takes serious effort and investment, I cannot see them getting lots of those at all, also if they only see people they know then there can be no new developers or new companies, even ones started by industry veterans.

Looking at the way the industry works I think the whole publisher model is not over good, it would be better to look for investment else ware, get rid of the publisher and just look to distribution and find your own capital some place else.

Perhaps its an idea to send your submission on a CD in a case with a nice printed sleeve, that way they see something physical, the artwork on the case would draw them in too look at it.

Quote:
Original post by Dean Avanti
I had one publisher that didn't return my mails and what was funny is that their internal development studio had offered me an lead level design job on their last game, I had to turn it down due to full time dev on my own title. The guy who offered the job, told me to get in touch on my game when I was ready as they are an internal dev to a publisher, unfortunately he left the company so I had lost my contact.
Similarly I was talking to the VP of development at a major publisher about a project that a client was prototyping. When they couriered it to him (by name) it was returned because they don't accept unsolicited submissions. - We had to fill in a form before they would accept the submission but at no time did the VP bother to mention this and there was no publicly available information on their web site regarding it.

Quote:
Are there any agents that can get your game across to publishers perhaps thats a good way to do it.

There certainly are.

Quote:
What about if you have a game thats 3 months to GM,
It takes 3 month to test and tweak a decent sized PC game so if you are 3 months from GM that means you are code/asset complete to beta? Or do you mean 3 months from beta... which actually means 6 months from GM?

Quote:
...a game thats vitually done, that takes serious effort and investment, I cannot see them getting lots of those at all, also if they only see people they know then there can be no new developers or new companies, even ones started by industry veterans.
Your talking specifically about large publishers. All the companies on your list (apart from 3DR who are a developer, acclaim who went bust and Taito who were bought by another company) are major multi-national publishers. They leave the new, unproven developers to the small publishers.

Quote:
Looking at the way the industry works I think the whole publisher model is not over good, it would be better to look for investment else ware, get rid of the publisher and just look to distribution and find your own capital some place else.
Yes indeed. So why don't you?

Quote:
Perhaps its an idea to send your submission on a CD in a case with a nice printed sleeve, that way they see something physical, the artwork on the case would draw them in too look at it.
Team I am working with sent a submission on a DVD with a printed colour label, in a DVD box with a full colour insert, inside a an outer presentation box (cardboard with various stickers on) along with a full colour printed mock-up of a game manual (control info plus some blurb about the demo) and a DVD with various movie files.

The more professional you make your presentation the better but as always its an issue of cost.

well most jobs are done in 8 weeks, we put play testing at 8 weeks, we just need money to continue development, plus the unreal engine 3 is not public yet so we need the money for the license, hence we need a publisher for capital.

do you have any info or links for agents, are they any good, are they a good thing to use

on printed DVD cases etc, I already have a nice case with artwork that looks real nice the pitch details is 45 pages with all details laid out, plus its laid out in a convenient way to read so lots of pictures and entertainment for those with attention deficit disorder, plus films etc also you may have a better chance of a publisher looking at it rather than download loads of content of the net, but I fear that if you send them how are you sure the right person has seen them.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Dean Avantido you have any info or links for agents, are they any good, are they a good thing to use

Agents are listed on Gamasutra under Companies. Some are good. The good ones are a good thing to use. The good ones are also very picky about who they represent.

Quote:
Original post by Dean Avanti
well most jobs are done in 8 weeks, we put play testing at 8 weeks,
Does that time scale include implementing all the foreign language assets and testing the foreign language versions?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!