• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dcuk

finished text based RPG, moving on..?

This topic is 4611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

just finished one of these and found the experience to be really easy, so looking forward. I'm thinking of either a Tetris clone or a side scroller, imagine Tetris easier, but side scroller is alot more exiting prospect tbh. I really have no idea of the mechanics behing either, so is there any way to research these, for example i would need to know somw WinApi would i, know nought there? - sprites? am i looking forward to much, if so what's a good project to do in between which is a stepping stone to these ones...appreciate you reading

Advertisement
You don't have to learn WinAPI to do graphics. I would use something like SDL. It is pretty easy to learn and powerful.

If you design a tetris game well, you could output text until you are comfortable with the graphics and then convert it over. Making a tetris class to handle all the information and then keeping the graphic handling part separate.

If you are thinking about making tetris, definitly read over some testimonies here [wink] You could actually go for a text based Tetris as well if you still wanted to stay in the text area.

Drew, your the one who said we shouldn't recommend tetris to beginners. I still find it funny we recommend tetris to beginners. Therefore, do pong, its not very hard to do. Plus, you will learn some basic physics.

After you have finished your pong game, make breakout.

Quote:
I would use something like SDL. It is pretty easy to learn and powerful.

See this, i hesitate at - as im new but first impressions - are that it's like a short cut to a goal - or to put better rather do everything and experience all difficulties like tackle the winapi and stuff as leave me in good stead afterwards.

Again, though i really don't know much about that kind of area, so correct if have wrong impressoin.

Quote:
If you are thinking about making tetris, definitly read over some testimonies here You could actually go for a text based Tetris as well if you still wanted to stay in the text area.

That link was very helpful so thank you.
I feel i if i started knew how to generate the random blocks, AI for collisions, rotation formula all that...just clueless about how fo i do the grid, how code that, do window commands, just that area know is stumbling block.

Feel quite confident otehrwise, on actual game front, timers are new concept but don't seem that bad can always look up in MSDN on that one.

Quote:
Original post by dcuk
Quote:
I would use something like SDL. It is pretty easy to learn and powerful.

See this, i hesitate at - as im new but first impressions - are that it's like a short cut to a goal - or to put better rather do everything and experience all difficulties like tackle the winapi and stuff as leave me in good stead afterwards.

Again, though i really don't know much about that kind of area, so correct if have wrong impressoin.

I'm the type of person that doesn't like to reinvent the wheel. I also don't like to do something the hard way. Plus, using SDL would be portable for linux while using WinAPI would not be. I've learned my share of the WinAPI and the usefulness of it is very limited. I've also learned Winsock/socket and I'd trade those anyday for a higher level library for TCP/UDP connections [smile].

k decided for these method SDL.

Can't find any good documentation out there saying how to do the stuff i want, a window app, and a table for actual game take place. Learning curve seems quite steep at the moment, it is quite annoying as fairly confident i know how to tackle actual tetris, just this windows introduction is puzzling.

Go here: http://www.aaroncox.net/tutorials/

it was made by a gamedev member and its the perfect place to learn SDL for game programming. Lots of example code and tutorials to learn from.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!