Simple Design Questions

Started by
7 comments, last by stevek2k 18 years, 3 months ago
Doing a bit of research into game design and have some simple questions, no long answers needed. Why is the design document important to game developers? Page scrolling in 2D games - explain and when most likely to use? Smooth (continuos scrolling) page scrolling - explain and when most likely to use? Background tiling - explain and when most likely to use? Any help muchly appreciated and thanks in advance, Sorry for the stupid questions! :-)
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by nickster01
Why is the design document important to game developers?

The main reason for design documents is for pitching to publishers. You need to be able to convince a publisher to part with large ammounts of money. A good design document is the first step thats required.

Once you actually start developing the design document becomes less and less useful as development eneviatably deviates from the original plan.

But the design document is used as a means of conveying the game in some abstract way to all the developers. Without it how would they know what game to make?
thanks very much help muchly appreciated,

Anyone help on other questions?
explain and when most likely to use?

Are those homework questions?
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
A design document describes the GAME design. It's assumed that the programmers know what they're doing (and the artists, and ...) so when the design document says "the level will use smooth scrolling," it happens, and when the design document says "this level uses cold, ghost-like imagery," that too, happens.

There are other documents you could produce to help programmers and artists; typically technical design documents, and art style bibles.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by someboddy
explain and when most likely to use?

Are those homework questions?

Smells like it...
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
so when the design document says "the level will use smooth scrolling," it happens, and when the design document says "this level uses cold, ghost-like imagery," that too, happens.

And if the design document says "the writer of those words will get a raise"?
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
The design document helps the game designer(s) communicate the idea of the game to the rest of the team (programmers, artists, project manager, publisher). It's simply easier to give someone a copy of a document than to tell them directly. Plus it lets a designer keep track of what their thoughts were at any particular time.

Solo developers will rarely need a full design document, and simple games might just need a lighter game specification. I just keep notes, but I don't think I'll create a full document until I'm ready to hire extra help.
lol do you happen to go to University of Ulster, because you are asking for stuff on past exams papers that don't seem to be covered very well in the notes :)

If you are and get this before the exam tomorrow send me a pm ill give you whatever answers i can :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement