• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LowRad

Shader Fragment in a Material Manager

This topic is 4607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I will need to start designing/implementing my material/texture manager pretty soon, i'm planing to use shaders everywhere. From simple texturing, to complex material, since current card and futures ones will only support flexible pipeline shader. The thing is that i don't remember where i read that, but if i remember well, they were saying that it was possible to "compose" shader at run-time, let say in a loading phase, from basic shader fragments. For now, i got some basic shaders, TextureShader, TextureNormalShader and so on, but since alot of theses shaders are/will extent already created shaders, i wondering if there's a way of "composing" those shader at runtime. Papers, links and tutorials will be really appreciated... Thanks all, Jonathan

Advertisement
Check out the Fragment Linker sample in the SDK - it does exactly what you want. Using ID3DXFragmentLinker you can generate new shaders composed of pre-defined chunks at runtime.

Thanks, exactly what i was looking for...

Nice timing, now that my resource manager is almost finish, this come just to point.

The DX part of MSDN, is still so big, i was browsing MSDN and never clicked on the right link to found this interface.

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!