• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

noobish question for c

This topic is 4433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

here's a little noobish question: in quickbasic there is a function called locate() which allows me to start printing from a certain point on the screen. how is it done in c? thanks.

Advertisement
There's isn't a portable standard way of doing this. In fact stdout doesn't even have to be a terminal.

If you're coding for Windows then check out SetConsoleCursorPosition.
In DOS you can probably use the gotoxy function from <conio.h>.
And in Unix the curses library provides the wmove function (or you can do it "manually" with termcaps).

There's no standard function for that in C/C++. Without knowing the OS and compiler you're using, there's no answer.

If you're using the old Borland compilers for DOS, try the function "gotoxy" in "conio.h". With more recent compilers, such as Visual C++ creating a console application, it's a lot more difficult (weird, huh?).

Edit: doynax beat me to it, but remember that SetConsoleCursorPosition doesn't work unless you create the console yourself with AllocConsole or get the handle with GetStdHandle (STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) (otherwise you haven't got the console handle).

hmmm.ok. thanks...and another question...is there anything bigger than an array? because i wanted to make int location[640][480] and he told me it's too big! is there anything that will allow that? (i dont mind if any integer will be really small...even 4 bit (althought i dont think such a thing exists).

What's the exact error you got, and was it a runtime or compile time error?

Quote:
Original post by forgottensoul
hmmm.ok. thanks...and another question...is there anything bigger than an array? because i wanted to make int location[640][480] and he told me it's too big! is there anything that will allow that? (i dont mind if any integer will be really small...even 4 bit (althought i dont think such a thing exists).
A 640x480 array of integers is not a problem for most systems. However it generally won't fit on the stack and has to be dynamically allocated (using malloc in C).
If you're developing for 16-bit DOS then the system normally can't access more than 64 kB of data directly, in which case you'll have to look into far pointers (and far allocations) or check if your compiler supports the huge memory model.

As for the datatype itself you can save a lot of space by using a char instead of an integer. For 4-bit integers you'll have to use bitfields, but in this case they'd much less comfortable considering that you can't make arrays out of them.

ok...i'll have to search on that thanks...one more question:

is there a way to press 2 buttons at the same time somehow? i want my character both move and swing his sword but he can do only one thing at a time...maybe i'm looking for something that is not getch() but something else...? maybe i need 2 chars to do that and a getch for each? i'm not sure really and would really appreciate any advice or help.

You still haven't mentioned which compiler and OS you use.

getch always gets the next character in the input queue. To detect multiple simultaneous keypresses, you need to either use "GetAsyncKeyState" in Windows, or handle port 0x60 yourself (preferably through hooking interrupt 9, the keyboard interrupt). Check out the Keyboard handler extension on this page.

Quote:
Original post by Kippesoep
You still haven't mentioned which compiler and OS you use.

It seems to me that in the general programming forum the default OS is Windows. That is, when the OS goes unmentioned, the question usually pertains to Windows.

Quote:
Original post by LessBread
It seems to me that in the general programming forum the default OS is Windows. That is, when the OS goes unmentioned, the question usually pertains to Windows.

Yes, the OS the guy is running is most likely Windows, but as you can see from the questions and replies above, it is very likely that he is using a DOS compiler instead. That is the question that I wanted answered. If he were using Linux or some more exotic operating system, he would probably already have mentioned it...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement